Sign in with
Your question

Getting Back into MMOS, looking for advice on good computer.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2011 6:42:01 AM

Hey i used to be a hard core mmorpg gamer, but quit 4 years ago. My old computer is kaput and i have a cheap acer right now, not good enough. So in about 4 months when i have some cash i want to build a wicked system to play Rift atm, but want it to last a few years in case some other wicked mmo comes out. I know its a little early but ive been out of the loop so long i thought i should start researching now. Basically for mmo gaming what vid card/cards should i get, whats the best ram, how much do i need, should irun the game off a ssd? I have many more questions but this is a start. Ill have 3k to spend on it, but id rather not spend it, ill also nee a good monitor. Thanks in advance.

More about : back mmos advice good computer

June 26, 2011 9:24:16 AM

edyts said:
Hey i used to be a hard core mmorpg gamer, but quit 4 years ago. My old computer is kaput and i have a cheap acer right now, not good enough. So in about 4 months when i have some cash i want to build a wicked system to play Rift atm, but want it to last a few years in case some other wicked mmo comes out. I know its a little early but ive been out of the loop so long i thought i should start researching now. Basically for mmo gaming what vid card/cards should i get, whats the best ram, how much do i need, should irun the game off a ssd? I have many more questions but this is a start. Ill have 3k to spend on it, but id rather not spend it, ill also nee a good monitor. Thanks in advance.

Hey There,

4 months is a huge difference my man. The new sandy bridge should be coming out around then and bulldozer will be out by then. I am not sure what the different video card companies will be dropping but I am sure something fantastic will be coming out by the end of the year as well. For a good general idea of what is "hot" now.

Sandy Bridge. 2500k Best value/performance, 2600k, slightly better performance in gaming, larger gap in productivity but it's a luxury not a necessity

Video Cards. Xfire 6950's or SLI 560 ti's are your best bet for value gaming depending on which game supports which best (Both will be overkill for MMO's, hell one of the cards is overkill in mmo's, I run a 560ti in WoW and get over 120 fps with everything on ultra.

Storage? SSD, a nice big samsung f3 or western digital black will do the trick.

Also, check out the main page of tom's for some good articles at their recommended builds for diff price points. Or the threads at the top of the New Build forum, they have great builds and some very interesting discussing (particulary the thread for high end gaming).

Have a good one.
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:19:58 PM

Thanks for the info, ill be sure to read those articles. Ill be perusing this site for the next 4 months i should be well informed in that time. Good to know that i just need 1 vid card i was thinking of doing 2 but if its overkill since i just play mmos ill stick with one.
m
l
!