Cingular won't activate my AT&T SIM chip

I have a new AT&T SIM chip for my unlocked
Motorola C650, but the information that I
get from Cingular -- including from a
former AT&T service center -- is that they
will no longer activate a GSM phone that
uses an AT&T SIM card.

I have thought of hacking the SIM card to
a Cingular ID number. Two questions:

1. Is it possible to hack into a SIM card,
past the password protection, and alter
the ID number?

2. If I succeed in doing that, and I create
an ID that Cingular recognizes as theirs, I
will have created a "random" ID, which may
or may not already be active on the system.
What might be the consequences of that?

TIA

fred

You should not have any trouble with the SIM at a location that was formerly
an AWS store however Cingular does not want to activate any unlocked phones
regardless of the system.

Fred

"Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You should not have any trouble with the SIM at a location that was
formerly
> an AWS store however Cingular does not want to activate any unlocked
phones
> regardless of the system.
>
> Fred

GSM phones are not activated just the SIM, most providers if not all only
activate their own sims. A cingular or any other GSM sim works fine in
unlocked phones, unless the phone is blacklisted/stolen. You may or may not
have issues setting up web access with a unlocked phone that cingular
doesn't provide. My cingular phone was unlocked by cingular when I made the
request, it continues to work on cingular or t-mobile depending on the sim.
I also have a t-mobile provided phone that is unlocked that works on both
providers. Did you mean to say Cingular locks phones that it sells ? If so
this is true. Some providers such as Sprint (cdma) will not activate a phone
that they didn't provide. Prebuy-out I've also activated a tdma AT&T phone
on Cingular which AT&T would not activate because it was 800MHz only. Single
band 1900Mhz phones supplied by t-mobile will not work on the 800/850Mhz
Cingular network even if unlocked. The phone must be compatible for it to
work, you will not get a Verizon cdma phone to work on the Cingular tdma
network. Bottom line is Cingular doesn't care if the phone is locked or not
if they didn't supply it.

Fred wrote:
> ... however Cingular does not want to activate any unlocked phones
> regardless of the system.

This is not true (at least not universally). I activated A SIM on my
unlocked V550 (Vodaphone branded)on May 20 in Salt Lake City at a
Cingular "company store".

dick

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:23:47 -0600, RWEmerson
<foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

>Fred wrote:
>> ... however Cingular does not want to activate any unlocked phones
>> regardless of the system.
>>

>This is not true (at least not universally). I activated A SIM on my
>unlocked V550 (Vodaphone branded)on May 20 in Salt Lake City at a
>Cingular "company store".

I purchased a V551 from Cingular through Amazon.com in December that
was not locked. Maybe that practice has changed.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:27:50 -0700, Stanley Reynolds
<nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> My cingular phone was unlocked by cingular when I made the
> request, it continues to work on cingular or t-mobile depending on the
> sim.
[snip]

Do you know if this is standard policy or were there any special
circumstances in your case? That is, would they unlock my v551 if I asked
them to? To be honest, I don't even know if it's locked - I just assume it
is since it's branded with the Cingular badge. But I'm planning some
travel in Europe and would like to be able to use local SIM cards while
I;m there without having to buy a new phone.

-Dean

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:32 GMT, "Dean M."
<cjmebox-telecomdigest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:27:50 -0700, Stanley Reynolds
><nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> My cingular phone was unlocked by cingular when I made the
>> request, it continues to work on cingular or t-mobile depending on the
>> sim.
>[snip]
>
>Do you know if this is standard policy or were there any special
>circumstances in your case? That is, would they unlock my v551 if I asked
>them to? To be honest, I don't even know if it's locked - I just assume it
>is since it's branded with the Cingular badge. But I'm planning some
>travel in Europe and would like to be able to use local SIM cards while
>I;m there without having to buy a new phone.
>

>-Dean

I was a customer with Cingular for just 2 months when I put in a request
for the unlock code for my V551 through CS. I had the code in 5 days.

"rring" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:32 GMT, "Dean M."
> <cjmebox-telecomdigest@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:27:50 -0700, Stanley Reynolds
> ><nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >> My cingular phone was unlocked by cingular when I made the
> >> request, it continues to work on cingular or t-mobile depending on the
> >> sim.
> >[snip]
> >
> >Do you know if this is standard policy or were there any special
> >circumstances in your case? That is, would they unlock my v551 if I asked
> >them to? To be honest, I don't even know if it's locked - I just assume
it
> >is since it's branded with the Cingular badge. But I'm planning some
> >travel in Europe and would like to be able to use local SIM cards while
> >I;m there without having to buy a new phone.
> >

> >-Dean
>

> I was a customer with Cingular for just 2 months when I put in a request
> for the unlock code for my V551 through CS. I had the code in 5 days.

No, special circumstances just told them I would like to put a prepaid sim
in my phone while traveling, they email me the code with very good
instructions. I've had good luck with t-mobile as well they want you to be a
current customer (prepaid is ok) and they will give you any code in their
data base. Any gsm sim other than cingular should tell if your phone is
locked the sim does not need to be active for this test.

On 30 May 2005 00:53:49 -0000, Alan Turing <Alan.Turing@bletchleypark.uk>
spewed:
>I have a new AT&T SIM chip for my unlocked
>Motorola C650, but the information that I
>get from Cingular -- including from a
>former AT&T service center -- is that they
>will no longer activate a GSM phone that
>uses an AT&T SIM card.
>
>I have thought of hacking the SIM card to
>a Cingular ID number. Two questions:
>
>1. Is it possible to hack into a SIM card,
>past the password protection, and alter
>the ID number?
>
>2. If I succeed in doing that, and I create
>an ID that Cingular recognizes as theirs, I
>will have created a "random" ID, which may
>or may not already be active on the system.
>What might be the consequences of that?
>
>TIA

That's WAAAAAY more work than you need to do.
I'm assuming this is a "locked" phone to that's the problem?
It's not that it won't take an AT&T SIM, as SIMs are standardized size and
format. It's that it's locked to AT&T in software.
Just get an unlocker.
If that phone accepts software, you can probably just d/l it from one of
the warez groups.
If it doesn't, do a google for that model and "unlock".
Shouldn't cost ya more than $20.
My brother got one for his Ericsson T616, I just found one for an old
I888, and I've found them for Treo 270 and 600.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

I am curiously learning all about unlocking in this thread. I am
planning to get a new cell phone (And a new service) and would like to
understand better about allt his before my purcahse.

> That's WAAAAAY more work than you need to do.
>I'm assuming this is a "locked" phone to that's the problem?
>It's not that it won't take an AT&T SIM, as SIMs are standardized size and
>format. It's that it's locked to AT&T in software.
>Just get an unlocker.

What do you mean? I mean how? By downloading the software?

>If that phone accepts software, you can probably just d/l it from one of
>the warez groups.
>If it doesn't, do a google for that model and "unlock".

Do you mean to buy the software hat would unlock?

>Shouldn't cost ya more than $20.
>My brother got one for his Ericsson T616, I just found one for an old
>I888, and I've found them for Treo 270 and 600.

About a year ago, I learned about cellphones you can buy in, say
Thailand, use it to get serivce from different service provider in US.
I didn't understand clearly at the time but it seems that it is locking
issue that prevents phones form being to use with a different wireless
service provider. Am I rightt? Anyone?

<amanda992004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am curiously learning all about unlocking in this thread. I am
> planning to get a new cell phone (And a new service) and would like to
> understand better about allt his before my purcahse.
>
>> That's WAAAAAY more work than you need to do.
>>I'm assuming this is a "locked" phone to that's the problem?
>>It's not that it won't take an AT&T SIM, as SIMs are standardized size and
>>format. It's that it's locked to AT&T in software.
>>Just get an unlocker.
>
> What do you mean? I mean how? By downloading the software?
>
>>If that phone accepts software, you can probably just d/l it from one of
>>the warez groups.
>>If it doesn't, do a google for that model and "unlock".
>
> Do you mean to buy the software hat would unlock?
>
>>Shouldn't cost ya more than $20.
>>My brother got one for his Ericsson T616, I just found one for an old
>>I888, and I've found them for Treo 270 and 600.
>
> About a year ago, I learned about cellphones you can buy in, say
> Thailand, use it to get serivce from different service provider in US.
> I didn't understand clearly at the time but it seems that it is locking
> issue that prevents phones form being to use with a different wireless
> service provider. Am I rightt? Anyone?

Yep, it's 'locked" to a service provider and will not work on any other
system unlessand until it is "unlocked". Works the same in the US, must be
unlocked.

bamp

Cingular wants to migrate ATT customers into their system. Even if it
is all now one company there are still two different computer systems
so they are moving ATT people over to Cingular. Take your SIM and
phone into Cingular, sign a contract and they will give you a new sim
and probably move your data for you.