Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 12, 2012 8:21:07 PM

???? Motherboard??? How to fix or over ride a USB port? I just do not know and feel hopelessly lost....

Last night my daughter was playing a video game & all of a sudden the PC stated " USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds". We rushed out to a retail store & bought a can of air. I blew out all of the dust & some how it came back to life. I turned off & on several times before starting this USB problem again. Working on it a bit nothing came up but a black screen then it shut down. Now, we are back to the same problem (" USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds")

I have an ASUS motherboared. (IDK what kind the ex-husband took off w/ everything I had) there was a warning stating to go to www.jmicron.com I am like & how do I even get there when it won't stay started?

I do not know what to do and when your as poor as we are now that damn pc is the only entertainment I can provide for my kids since we live in a questionable area where not only are there no PC's in ppls homes but no repair shops.

I'd be very thankful for any help you guys/gals could offer.

ty- Sixxy

More about : usb device current status detected shut seconds

a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 9:14:38 PM

First of all, I need to know a little bit more about the situation in general.

Are you posting this from a phone?

If you can get the computer to stay on for any length of time, what is about the longest it will stay on for?

Also, what things do you have plugged in that use USB? The things I mean should have connectors like this:

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/pictures/10000/nahl...
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 4:09:22 PM

I am posting from my laptop. (My cell is turned off. Welcome to being a single mom.)

The only thing plugged into one of the 8 usb ports (6 in the back) is one mouse (razer gamin)

I feel the broken port is in the front where there are 2 USB ports. My noob skills say they are connected to the intake cooling fan.


The pc shuts down in 15 seconds so I am stuck here. I am broke but stupid enough to wait n buy a new cooling fan or motherbored if needed but that wont happen for several months.

Yes, the usb connections look like that. The mouse is a Razer Lachesis. http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/prod...

The white plastic part on the front usb drive is missing the white plastic piece due to my 5 yr old pluggin' in those damn BestBuy gift card USB X-MAS lights. After the series of problems happened.



I am trying this on my own w/ your sites help in hopes I am blessed for a few more months so my almost 16 yr old daughter has something to do this summer. We live in a bad area. lmao I have great kids n I think gaming kept 'em all out of trouble.


I VERY, VERY much appreciate any advice you can give me. :)  :)  :)  :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 7:15:41 PM

What happens if you just take the mouse out and try to turn the computer on?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 7:38:04 PM

It almost sounds like your front USB ports are now mangled and possibly the contacts are touching each other causing overcurrent.


If you could take a picture of the front of your case as well as the inside - i'm sure we could help you disconnect the front USB ports so you can at least use your computer.
Share
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 7:42:34 PM

Shouldn't be that difficult to pull off that test either.

Just have to look for something on the motherboard on the side closest to the bottom of the case that has USB written over or under it and cables leading to the front and disconnect that set of cables.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 7:51:06 PM

Raiddinn said:
Shouldn't be that difficult to pull off that test either.

Just have to look for something on the motherboard on the side closest to the bottom of the case that has USB written over or under it and cables leading to the front and disconnect that set of cables.






Just make sure the computer is off and unplugged from the wall when doing this.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 8:08:40 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Just make sure the computer is off and unplugged from the wall when doing this.


Make sure that is the case when doing anything related to computers ever.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 8:07:09 AM

FYI It works :)  My computer did the same thing so I did what you said and viola! Just like new :)  Thanks!
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 6:58:40 PM

Sixx_Foxx said:
???? Motherboard??? How to fix or over ride a USB port? I just do not know and feel hopelessly lost....

Last night my daughter was playing a video game & all of a sudden the PC stated " USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds". We rushed out to a retail store & bought a can of air. I blew out all of the dust & some how it came back to life. I turned off & on several times before starting this USB problem again. Working on it a bit nothing came up but a black screen then it shut down. Now, we are back to the same problem (" USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds")

I have an ASUS motherboared. (IDK what kind the ex-husband took off w/ everything I had) there was a warning stating to go to www.jmicron.com I am like & how do I even get there when it won't stay started?

I do not know what to do and when your as poor as we are now that damn pc is the only entertainment I can provide for my kids since we live in a questionable area where not only are there no PC's in ppls homes but no repair shops.

I'd be very thankful for any help you guys/gals could offer.

ty- Sixxy


m
0
l
July 4, 2013 12:16:19 AM

Chainzsaw said:
It almost sounds like your front USB ports are now mangled and possibly the contacts are touching each other causing overcurrent.


If you could take a picture of the front of your case as well as the inside - i'm sure we could help you disconnect the front USB ports so you can at least use your computer.


How did you know that? Thank you tomshardware!
m
0
l
October 8, 2013 2:18:56 PM

FIXED - Detached front-usb lead from motherboard and problem solved as front usb had mangled connector.

Thanks all
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:24:56 AM

I have unplug all usb devices. But 'USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds' still appear after post. Is it my usb on the board is the problem. How to disconnect them.
m
0
l
!