Crossfire slower in most games then without? why?

i installed new 2 hd6870 cards and a 750 w psu and connected these with bridge and in most games it runs slower then with one card .. how can that be? what is wrong with my setup and do you have any ideas?
also my psu has plugs for pci express 3 and 4 and i do not know what it means and how to connect using those plugs.. i connect using normal plugsa

this is my motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339
110 answers Last reply
More about crossfire slower games without
  1. i installed new 2 hd6870 cards and a 750 w psu and connected these with bridge and in most games it runs slower then with one card .. how can that be? what is wrong with my setup and do you have any ideas?
    also my psu has plugs for pci express 3 and 4 and i do not know what it means and how to connect using those plugs.. i connect using normal plugsa

this is my motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131339

i tried the game metro and it dos not improve much in that game
    but in stalker clear sky and stalker prypriat it goes slightly slower with two cards then one and i actually red somewhere those games do support crossfire

what is wrong w my setup? do i need to do something in bios? should i reinstall drivers?
    i red that two 6870 should kick ass compared to only one .. i had a site showing its spremacy over most ocnfigurations before it but yet i do not get any significant boost?

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, AMD 790FX+SB750
    AMD Phenom 9850 BlackEdt 2,5 Ghz BOXED
    OCZ DDR2 4096MB Gold GX XTC Dual Channel x2
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB
    2x hd 6870 saphire and direct cu

the game metro runs slightly just slightly faster .. the two other games that i tested that i red somewhere do actually support crossfire is stalker clearsky and stalker prypriat but those acually run slower and load slower then with 1 card .

i have the two cards putt far away from each other if that matters.. i will try to putt them right beneath each other next to each other uninstall and install drivers again to see if it changes anthing
    also my card only has place for one bridge not bridges

I TAKE IT BACK metro alsodoes not run faster because i checkd... and all games take much longer to load with crossfire...?is this because crossfire uses more cpu to handle the job?
  2. 1980x1200 i am probably writing it wrong because i am on my laptop so i cant check.. but you know whihc i am talking about 1080p
  3. Which 750 watt psu you have?Did you connect the pci express connectors from the psu to the second card.Is both card detected in gpuz?Did you download ati application profiles from this site ?http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-32.aspx

Note all games donot scale well with crossfire config.
  4. FOR SOME reason i cnat edit my own posts..

an you help me? there is version 3 and version 4 on the Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU i got confused what does that mean?

does it mean its difference between the cable plugins or are the 4 all the same? the manual does not tell me.. the icons confuse me under

and yes i connected both cards . and its detected and enabled in cc
  5. Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, AMD 790FX+SB750
    AMD Phenom 9850 BlackEdt 2,5 Ghz BOXED
    OCZ DDR2 4096MB Gold GX XTC Dual Channel x2
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB
    2x hd 6870 saphire and direct cu

the game metro runs slightly just slightly faster .. the two other games that i tested that i red somewhere do actually support crossfire is stalker clearsky and stalker prypriat but those acually run slower and load slower then with 1 card .

i have the two cards putt far away from each other if that matters.. i will try to putt them right beneath each other next to each other uninstall and install drivers again to see if it changes anthing
    also my card only has place for one bridge not bridges
  6. Never heard about that psu.It is always advisable to use quality psu from coolermaster,corsair when using crossfire configs.Plz post a gpuz screenshot.
  7. Yes,that cpu sucks.YOu need a better cpu to unleash your system potential.
  8. you are aware that my cpu is only 1 or 2 years old ?

also the game metro runs better which is a newer game... atleast in stalker it should have been loading and run normal not worse then with single card
    i cant understand it would be becuas ethe cpu .. since it should atleast have tried to be better but it does not...

it makes no sense .. why it would be bottle necked and be even worse then one card..

logic tells me it would atleast run as a normal configuration with that single card .
  9. First generation of phenoms were really bad and slow.You can check each card individually.
  10. what do you mean "check each card"
    and what cpu do you recommend me getting now?
  11. it makes no sense... and idont understand what you mean.. "undearneath your cpu"
    i would understand your argument if the game ran normally and not worse then with one card.. necause it runs smoother wiht one card and same cpu.

also i want to know if there is an applicaiton that can overclock my cpu and is user friendly and has safety measures into it. and yes its free?
  12. if i upgrade my system wiht say a phenom 11 x6 1100 whatever its called howlong will my pc be valid? with my setup?
    as i understand this is the fastest amd chip?
    is it better for me to wait 1 year or 2 and build a new computer instead?
    i am not tempted with my tight budget to upgrade this pc since its only 2 years or 1 years old?
    but if you guys think phenom gen 1 is too slow what do you sugest?
    its as if i am cought between time frames of changes and i dont wanat to use more money that i alredy have
    i used close to half a computer cost to build one on new psu , 2 new cards .. and now it would cost me even more if i had to upgrade my cpu
    but i do no see why this crossfire would not be twice as fast as one and that is all i needed to begin with just slightly faster performance in the games
  13. Quote:
    More cores doesn't mean its faster. The 955Be will be the best choice and its running on a high stock already. Its able to pull a 5970 with ease. You just need the cpu. You don't have to buy anything else. That's why always double check before doing upgrades.

if you read my post its a 6870 not a 5970 .. just incase you forgot and did not mena ot write that

but can you anser me the question i had before about how long will my system survive on a phenom x6?

the prices between the cpus the one you told me and the x6 here is so close
    they are lik only 60 bucks between
    between x6 1090 is 60 to 1100 and 60 bucks from x6 1090 down to 955be

no i dont have the right stuff to overclock my cpu .. its boxed edition with stock fans only ..

somehow thought i really doubt its becuase of hte cpu only .. granted a better pcu would be best .. but for 2 year old games like stlaker games my cpu came that time and should be adequite

i will chekc out and check back here again

also i will try to install crysis warheaad and see how it goes with that monster problematic bastard of a game

my chieftec powersupply has its own channels for pci express but under it there are two icons one saing pci express v 4 and one v 3 ... and i do no tknow if it refers to the plugins or just general .. can i use hte plugs all 4 on the cards? are they the same ? or are they different?

i now am using only one of hte direct plugs form psu on main card for the other i am using extension cables because i was not sure .
  14. get a 955 and a hyper 212+, shoot you can probly oc it to 3.8 with the stock fan, do not waste your money on a six core they often oc less and the extra two cores will do nothing for you in gaming... I abondoned 6870 crossfire bc of its terrible sporaic microstutter that was consistent across drivers.

I think dadiggle mentioned the 5970 bc it is similar in performance to 6870 crossfire, even though the 6870s will beat it no problem.

your cpu is extremely weak though, that is no doubt what is causing your problem imo
  15. I take it all back metro does not go faster either and it takes more time to load the game in all games

unless you are right only if crossfire demands usage of the cpu regardless of games then you be right

also what card are you exactly talking about? i mean cpu... isnt 955be a phenom 11 4 card? and its only 2.5 ghz?

I TAKE IT BACK metro alsodoes not run faster because i checkd... and all games take much longer to load with crossfire...?is this because crossfire uses more cpu to handle the job?

i dont really want needlessly to use money on cpu if i don tneed it * look up and see my specs earlier reply*

Also does i matter what card you have as main gpu? and where you putt your card? remember my card is hd 6870 x2

there is also a problem one of my card keeps heatin gup and working even if its not on . why?
    when i have crossfire off it still is working too hard... i wonder if it matters which card i putt as slave and if it matters what slot it is in

btw 955be does not exist where i live only 955
  16. well in my experiences with 6870 crossfire, to make a long story short, it worked like *** because of many driver problems that were consistent across several updates, just telling you from my own experiences, on top of that yeah, your cpu is likely too weak to manage two cards I would upgrade you cpu and upgrade to a single powerful card for the most hassle free setup
  17. jjb8675309 said:
    well in my experiences with 6870 crossfire, to make a long story short, it worked like *** because of many driver problems that were consistent across several updates, just telling you from my own experiences, on top of that yeah, your cpu is likely too weak to manage two cards I would upgrade you cpu and upgrade to a single powerful card for the most hassle free setup

HEY HEY slow it down!

well i cant i just bought a hd 6870 card and i couldnt return it so the best thing was fo rme to find a cheap one .. and i did one that was expensive but i found it cheap... the direct cu

i hoped it would releave me form having to build a new pc so soon.. my pc is 2 years old barely .. *see longer up for my specs*

what are you saying.. do you THINK one needs strong cpu for crossfire or is it a fact .. do you factually need a stronger cpu for two cards ? if so i should upgrade but if its only a theory?

Atleast i can use these cards for my future pc... but i am still in doubt if its the cpu causing the problem

to repeat the problem .. the problem is actually now that not only does games take longer to load with CROSSFIRE but they do run EXACTLY the same like with one card... its very odd to me..
    the reintsall of drivers maked games run smoother but infact it just ran the same smoothness with one card .. so i realized its not running smoother because of crossfire .. but rather smotther on even 1 card because of my driver setup. .. so to make it clear in sinmple langauge the games run the same with one card as with the two and even faster loading with 1

i have been thinking about if it matters which slot the cards are installed on and what order which card is ..? but my mind in one side says it would not matter as all slots hould be equal .. and that i doubt the order of hte cards which comes first between saphire and direct cu matters?

atleast there should have been SOME change .. but there is not.. infact as mentioned loading takes longer .. so does the loading of textures when games start
  18. the brands do not matter

the problem is your cpu it is comparable to a athlon II 240 2.8ghz dual core cpu, it is definatley not fast enough to run crossfire 6870s imo, not to mention that the clock frequency is only 2.5, imo you should not go any higher than a single 6850 with the cpu, it also historically does not overclock well and lacks many features of the Phenom 2 955 for example.

what you should do is at least get a am3 motherboard with at least 8x8 and a phenom II 955 get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it to around 3.8 or so and you will be more than good to go for crossfire 6870s..

if you need that now and have a limited budget the am3 route is optimal but if not a Sandy bridge or Bulldozer build will get you a lot more for yoru money and it will no doubt last a bit longer than the am3 setup but either way the 955 can be had for around 130 so its a very powerful chip imo with easy overclocking potential it will be fine to power crossfire 6870s, and the bottom line is that your current cpu is seriously holding you back from any single or dual gpu combination over say a single 6870 (and even that is likely being bottlenecked a bit by itself).
  19. jjb8675309 said:
    the brands do not matter

the problem is your cpu it is comparable to a athlon II 240 2.8ghz dual core cpu, it is definatley not fast enough to run crossfire 6870s imo, not to mention that the clock frequency is only 2.5, imo you should not go any higher than a single 6850 with the cpu, it also historically does not overclock well and lacks many features of the Phenom 2 955 for example.

what you should do is at least get a am3 motherboard with at least 8x8 and a phenom II 955 get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it to around 3.8 or so and you will be more than good to go for crossfire 6870s..

if you need that now and have a limited budget the am3 route is optimal but if not a Sandy bridge or Bulldozer build will get you a lot more for yoru money and it will no doubt last a bit longer than the am3 setup but either way the 955 can be had for around 130 so its a very powerful chip imo with easy overclocking potential it will be fine to power crossfire 6870s, and the bottom line is that your current cpu is seriously holding you back from any single or dual gpu combination over say a single 6870 (and even that is likely being bottlenecked a bit by itself).

why cant i just get pehon II 6 ? it has better bench mark then any amd cpu? also its not much more expensive then the 955 only 60 or 50 buks more and i can use it when the cores can be used later? is the phoenom 6 that much worse?

well i dont have money to buy 955 and water cooling or strong cooling.. i already used so much on the psu and graphics cards

i cant believe my cpu is so bad its only 1 or 2 years old >:(

i just really wanted to wait 1 year and build a whole new pc either amd or intel ... and what really bothers me is you guys say 955 but its not much more cheap then the pehonom and i dont understand why teh [phenom would be worse
  20. Uninstall drivers. Run Driver Sweeper to completely remove the video drivers. Reboot and reinstall 11.3 drivers AND the Crossfire Application Profiles which is a separate download on AMD's website (same page as 11.3 drivers though).

See how that helps, but as mentioned, the CPU is going to hold you back. Still, you should see gains so my guess is you didn't do a proper install or missed something.

As stated, the X6 is NOT a gaming CPU. It'll do better in pure CPU power benchmarks but in gaming, it is slower.

And water cooling... don't go there. Not unless you already have your system up to spec and have a lot of extra cash to burn. Hyper 212 Plus is a very cheap and effective cooler for overclocking.
  21. wolfram23 said:
    Uninstall drivers. Run Driver Sweeper to completely remove the video drivers. Reboot and reinstall 11.3 drivers AND the Crossfire Application Profiles which is a separate download on AMD's website (same page as 11.3 drivers though).

See how that helps, but as mentioned, the CPU is going to hold you back. Still, you should see gains so my guess is you didn't do a proper install or missed something.

As stated, the X6 is NOT a gaming CPU. It'll do better in pure CPU power benchmarks but in gaming, it is slower.

And water cooling... don't go there. Not unless you already have your system up to spec and have a lot of extra cash to burn. Hyper 212 Plus is a very cheap and effective cooler for overclocking.

BUT IS IT that much slower? because it is more cost efficient for me to just get phenom x6

well i did uninstall ati through uninstaller .. last time i used driver cleaner or sweeper it caused problems for my ati installation .. and i had to format..i am reluctant to use it again.

well unless that crossfire application can help me i am out of luck..
    this is what i did

i installed the one card in the first slot and the last one in the last slott so the last one is on the bottom... but there is equally enough space for air there as it would be above one card if they were stakced on each other.. do you think that matters? do you think my case does not have enough room at the end?
    my case has always been open btw.. always .. i dont close it for nothing.

i installed this http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx
    but i have no way to find the external execution file or preset or anything

i cnat find that application

also my ccc does not give me any diagnostic of my setup its empty

also where in cpuz should it say crossfire? i cant find it
  22. wolfram23 said:
    Uninstall drivers. Run Driver Sweeper to completely remove the video drivers. Reboot and reinstall 11.3 drivers AND the Crossfire Application Profiles which is a separate download on AMD's website (same page as 11.3 drivers though).

thanks for clarifying gonna have to hold his hand
  23. BUT IS IT that much slower? because it is more cost efficient for me to just get phenom x6

well i did uninstall ati through uninstaller .. last time i used driver cleaner or sweeper it caused problems for my ati installation .. and i had to format..i am reluctant to use it again.

well unless that crossfire application can help me i am out of luck..
    this is what i did

i installed the one card in the first slot and the last one in the last slott so the last one is on the bottom... but there is equally enough space for air there as it would be above one card if they were stakced on each other.. do you think that matters? do you think my case does not have enough room at the end?
    my case has always been open btw.. always .. i dont close it for nothing.

i installed this http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx
    but i have no way to find the external execution file or preset or anything

i cnat find that application

also my ccc does not give me any diagnostic of my setup its empty

24. You 100% need to install the CAP. The download itself is an install executable...
  25. install what? cap what is cap .. there is only that download link right there... and that is all i downloded and ran..
    i dont know what CAP is man

this one http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

i need a way to know if my crossfire is even working... there is no diagnose information in ccc
  26. Crossfire
    Application
    Profiles
    =CAP

See under version, it says 11.3 CAP2...

And so now you have installed it? Any difference?
  27. what do you mean there is no difference in the ccc there is no profile or anything.... am i not supposed to see anything?

also i want to know how i can find out if my crossfire works... also cpuz i cantr find it.. no crossfire info.. and in ccc there is empty where the diagnostic is there is nothing ther ein the window.
  28. You need to uninstall and reinstall the catalyst drivers. First uninstall them, and then run driver sweeper which you can get here.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

then download the latest catalyst drivers and install those. If you still have problems try stress testing the cards with furmark. Watch the temps and use GPU-Z to make sure both cards are running at the correct speed.

Just so you know, with those cards your CPU is going to hold them back at it's default speed. The 9850 X4 is a decent enough CPU, but it's generally not enough to power two 6870s even at 1080p. With a good cooler you should get at least 3.0ghz out of it.

The reason two cards might run slower than one is that the CPU needs to divide up the work between those to cards in addition to everything else they are doing. In this case I think that with one card you GPU was waiting for the CPU which couldn't give it data fast enough. With two cards your CPU needs to do additional work to divide up the work and optimize shader code for two cards, which means your cards spend more time waiting and you can actually get lower FPS.
  29. The Phenom 9850 was the last processor of that series. It is very slow at 2.5Ghz and the architecture is also slow. The Phenom II X4s are clocked higher and have a faster architecture. I have a 9850 in a media center and it is slow. My wife has the slowest athlon X4 the 620 in her PC. The 620 is notably faster than the 9850... and the 620 is still slow.

shadstarn said:
    BUT IS IT that much slower? because it is more cost efficient for me to just get phenom x6

It is never cost effective to get a slower processor for your purpose (in this case gaming) and pay more money for it.

The Phenom X6 is slower at gaming than the Phenom II X4.

Let me repeat... The X6 is slower for your usage than the X4...

The X6 is for productivity. It has 6 slow cores for doing many tasks at the same time slowly...
    the X4 is for gaming. It has 4 fast cores that do less tasks quickly...

Games use 2-3 cores max. A fourth core is good to handle additional background processes.

A game will never use 6 cores. so if your system during gaming is using max of 4 cores and you have a 6 core system 2 of the cores are just sitting there doing nothing. since each of those cores is slower than the cores of an X4 the X4 will run faster... The 955 is the recommended entry level processor for the best price/performance. Anything slower is not worth it and anything faster gives diminishing returns.
  30. megamanx00 said:
    You need to uninstall and reinstall the catalyst drivers. First uninstall them, and then run driver sweeper which you can get here.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

then download the latest catalyst drivers and install those. If you still have problems try stress testing the cards with furmark. Watch the temps and use GPU-Z to make sure both cards are running at the correct speed.

Just so you know, with those cards your CPU is going to hold them back at it's default speed. The 9850 X4 is a decent enough CPU, but it's generally not enough to power two 6870s even at 1080p. With a good cooler you should get at least 3.0ghz out of it.

The reason two cards might run slower than one is that the CPU needs to divide up the work between those to cards in addition to everything else they are doing. In this case I think that with one card you GPU was waiting for the CPU which couldn't give it data fast enough. With two cards your CPU needs to do additional work to divide up the work and optimize shader code for two cards, which means your cards spend more time waiting and you can actually get lower FPS.

UPDATE

after installing the application for crossfire as he stated.. i ran the metro game and stalker.. metro loaded faster *as fast as when i use one card.. as you read the crossfire usually made it load slower then 1 card*
    BUT stalker is slow and runs sporadic .. way strange now and worse then 1 card...

THE STRANGEST IS the FANS .. they are overworking now even while i am not playing.. i am not sure if its the cpu fan or hte gpu fans...
    there is no reason for them to be working now .. i am not playing and they are making sound as they did not before the download and gaming

somehtin gis not going smoothly...

also i still cant see any diagnostic in ccc and i cant find crossfire information at all anything.. where in cpuz can i see if i am infact crossfyring
  31. 1st off I second the sentiment that crossfire 6870 on your rig is a waste and also that crossfire is problematic.

That said I have a more basic question:

Did you activate crossfire in ATI Catalyst? It's not automatic. There's a tic box you have to select. Otherwise it defaults to running the cards independently (you can dedicate them to different monitors).

Also, it's obvious that you want to buy an X6 despite all the good advice against it. You need to go to the Asus site and make certain there is a BIOS update to support the exact chip and wattage you want (I'm not going to do it but I suspect it's unlikely that they're compatible).

I'd wager your best bet for a CPU upgrade is a Phenom X4 940 if you can still find one for cheap--I doubt that motherboard can take full advantage of any of the features of the more recent AM3 phenoms. Still, definitely check with Asus for compatibility.
  32. shadstarn said:
    what do you mean there is no difference in the ccc there is no profile or anything.... am i not supposed to see anything?

also i want to know how i can find out if my crossfire works... also cpuz i cantr find it.. no crossfire info.. and in ccc there is empty where the diagnostic is there is nothing ther ein the window.

You won't see anything about it. If it went through the install without errors, then you're fine. It should also show up in your add/remove programs list.

GPUZ is the one you want, not CPUZ. It should say "crossfire" under your GPU tabs.

Also you might want to download MSI Afterburner so that you can see your GPU usage. If only 1 card is getting usage then obviously CF isn't working.
  33. CCC will tell you if you're in crossfire. If you can't find it there than you are not running crossfire. It's that simple, because you would have had to have found it to activate it.
  34. shadstarn said:
    why cant i just get pehon II 6 ? it has better bench mark then any amd cpu? also its not much more expensive then the 955 only 60 or 50 buks more and i can use it when the cores can be used later? is the phoenom 6 that much worse?

well i dont have money to buy 955 and water cooling or strong cooling.. i already used so much on the psu and graphics cards

i cant believe my cpu is so bad its only 1 or 2 years old >:(

i just really wanted to wait 1 year and build a whole new pc either amd or intel ... and what really bothers me is you guys say 955 but its not much more cheap then the pehonom and i dont understand why teh [phenom would be worse

What he is saying is THAT FOR GAMING you will pay the extra 60-80 bucks and GET WORSE performance. If you were doing video editing of some type of hardcore photo shop work the six core would help but not for gaming. Now an easy example of why your current cpu is not working with the crossfire is this.

Lets say you have 1 card and its shooting out 40-50FPS for your CPU to deal with. Now you add the second card and all of a sudden the 2 cards are shooting out 70FPS. Now at 70FPS at a high resolution your CPU becomes un able to handle the workload and gets pegged at 100%. Want to test it out run prime 95 and peg your CPU at 100% and then try to open someting super easy like word and you will see it will take much longer. Thats because your CPU cant handle it, and thats why the extra card is giving you crap performance.

I have a Phenom II X4 965 and its at 4.0ghz stock air, however I have a huge case with an extra side fan blowing right on the CPU so thats why I dont need after market as of now. But this CPU is running things just fine with my 6950 I run Metro at about 40-45 FPS very high settings AAA and no DOF with tessellation on.

Try that you'll be killing mutants in no time lol
  35. LOOOOOOOL

WHAT IS HAPPENING after i installed that CUD

my pc TURNED ITSELF OFF middle of a test in metro! lololol

is that beause my cpu cant handle it? or is it the cards?

the cud definetly did something to my setup

ALSO what is strange is that the second gpu card has 0000 as its current clock speeds under current gpu values

thanks for good explenation .. about cpu.. do you guys think its impossible that amd would release a cpu that works great for gaming and work?

UPDATE

when iputt the second card on default then yes then i get the clock values.. but what is strange is that
    the second card is on 77 celicus :o why... its not being used .. or is this an ccc error?
    since ccc didnt even show any values when i was clocking it down to 900 from 915 .. since my saphire only is 900mhz.

the direct cu actually should be cooler cuase it has special cooling system but it is 76 c ? why? its not being used and its not hte main card
    i actually make music and it would be neat to have a cpu that can handle it

wow something is veyr messy with my ccc cause now after turning off crossfire there is no icons or information atall in overclocking section...

i really did uninstall and install the drivers * not drive sweeper" after i reinstalled the cards
  36. OP get a better cpu.And try some other games. Metro is a nvidia game.And stalker is very buggy.But the bottom-line is that your cpu sucks and way too slow to handle that monster gpu setup.Your best bet for a long lasting cost effective system is to buy Intel sandy bridge based cpu and mobo.It will last you a long time.AMd phenom 2 are also old and slow and will hold your setup back.Switch to intel for maximum performance.And very important buy a better psu.Your psu is weak therefore your system is restating.
  37. Your drivers are obviously screwed up.

First, get rid of all the extra crap, afterburner etc.

Then download the latest catalyst version from ATI.

Unistall catalyst completely and restart.

Then reinstall the new version of catalyst.

(also make sure both cards are seated correctly and that they have power cables attached--elementary I know but those are the things that often get one).
  38. Oh, and looking through your posts -- your power supply blows. Big time. It probably doesn't have the amperage to power both cards. That's likely screwing everything up.
  39. Pc Guru_07 said:
    OP get a better cpu.And try some other games. Metro is a nvidia game.And stalker is very buggy.But the bottom-line is that your cpu sucks and way too slow to handle that monster gpu setup.Your best bet for a long lasting cost effective system is to buy Intel sandy bridge based cpu and mobo.It will last you a long time.AMd phenom 2 are also old and slow and will hold your setup back.Switch to intel for maximum performance.And very important buy a better psu.Your psu is weak therefore your system is restating.

what? is 750 too low? i just red somewhere that is what you use to get it done! ?

in my settup i did note ven specify what psu i had.. i bought a psu specially for htis.. a chieftech 750

you think its hte psu and not the cpu that fails?

well if i was oging to buy a intel mb and cpu i would have to get something budgety .. what would you recommend?

or i would have to wait 1 2 years and get a whole better pc?because i saw someone having in their internet shop a computer biuld with more stuff then me and 2 similar cards and chieftech 750 if it works for them why not for me?
    do i now have to get a better psu and a new cpu?
  40. Its the brand of psu which matters not the wattage.I never heard of chieftech as a psu brand.Can someone else clarify wheather they are good or bad.Bad psu can also cause overheating becoz of unstable voltage.And can fry your system.
  41. It's the quality. It's an off brand PSU. The rating of 750 is likely a huge lie. And what is important for crossfire isn't the total wattage but the amperage available on each rail that goes to the cards. Your symptoms can indicate that the voltage may be fluctuating when the cards start to pull power, the result is a loss of stability and the computer crashes or shuts down. It may also be why you haven't seen the crossfire settings come up in CCC -- they're not starting correctly and signaling their existence.
  42. I think first things first. Stop and step back and think about what's going on.

You've made some changes. Did they help, or not? (CAP, namely)

You bought a chieftech psu... did you hook it up properly? Does it have enough amperage on 12V rails? Have you stress tested the PC with it?

We know your CPU is slow, and upgrading it would definitely show benefits, but it's not going to cause CF to act slower and it's not going to crash the PC if it's at stock settings (unless your heatsink is falling off).

Have you monitored your CPU usage, temps, GPU usage, temps? Have you run FurMark? Have you ever tried clearing out all unused drivers (video and audio)?
  43. ^OP's brain will now just burst after reading all the questions asked by you.
  44. Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU

this system here http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10455

had chieftech but its called something else .. 750w
    and i mistakenly bought chieftec super series but why should it matter som much
    if they used 750 i should be also able to do so
    i only have ahd and these cards to power besides the normal hardware

ALSO THE UNSTABILITY ONLY HAPPENED when i installed the CUD
    and i tried out an earlier level in metro... so tomorrow first thing after i am back home i will uninstall drivers completely and perhaps putt the cut card first... and test the same level to be sure
    i truly doubt its the psu ... i think its the cpu or a synergic failure between the hardwares.

yeah too bad chieftec super sieres seem to have a bad rap...
    my question then is ... is my OCZ StealthXStream strømforsyning 600W too low? to use?

i hope while returning my powersupply that i dont need to pay for the shipping.. any of you know the common rules for returnint?

can you guys definitely recommend me a psu that is not the most expensive one and you are sure is good enough

hey guys do you think changing the psu might fix my problem?
  45. Okay, it looks like Chieftec is made by Channel Well or Delta. It's not automatically bad.

Start with cleaning up your drivers.

If you still have issues check each card individually.

Then check your PSU.
  46. @shadstarn Is English your primary language?
  47. shadstarn said:
    Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU

this system here http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10455

had chieftech but its called something else .. 750w
    and i mistakenly bought chieftec super series but why should it matter som much
    if they used 750 i should be also able to do so
    i only have ahd and these cards to power besides the normal hardware

That shows a 560 Ti. Did you have that originally and got rid of it? If there's any Nvidia drivers on your system it can definitely cause issues.

Honestlly you should consider completely wiping all your drivers for video and audio and reinstall ONLY ATI 11.3 drivers, along with CAP - and whichever audio source you use (ie: mobo sound will have it's own drivers, GPU will have it's HDMI HD Audio drivers, a sound card would have it's own drivers - only install the drivers for the source you use).
  48. Pc Guru_07 said:
    OP get a better cpu.And try some other games. Metro is a nvidia game.And stalker is very buggy.But the bottom-line is that your cpu sucks and way too slow to handle that monster gpu setup.Your best bet for a long lasting cost effective system is to buy Intel sandy bridge based cpu and mobo.It will last you a long time.AMd phenom 2 are also old and slow and will hold your setup back.Switch to intel for maximum performance.And very important buy a better psu.Your psu is weak therefore your system is restating.

If he is concerned about price and can use a Phenom II with his current mobo thats the best way to go. I can say that with my 965 Im able to be within 3-5 FPS of the benchmarks I see for Metro 2033 with a 2400k so its not like the Phenom II wont work or will be crazy slow they work just fine. NOw if the mobo will only accept older AMD chips then def go sandy bridge.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Connection Games Crossfire Graphics Product