Power Supply PCI-e

G

Ok so let me first start off by saying I know absolutely nothing, I mean NOTHING about computers. Anyways... So I was wanting to upgrade my ATI Radeon HD 4350 (Bad right!!!) but then I found out I needed to get a new power supply. Now the one I've chosen (http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/professional-series-power-supply-units/hx650w.html ) says it has a PCI-e connecter, what is that? Does it just supply power to the video card? And finally is the slot where I put the video card in on the motherboard or the power supply? How do I know if I have a PCI-e slot?
If it helps I have the Studio 540 Dell desktop (NOT slim) and haven't changed a thing yet. I don't really know what my motherboard is and was wondering if there was any other way to find out what it was than opening up the computer and looking.
Thanks.

funguseater

Distinguished
The PCI-e connector is to power higher end graphics cards and connects to the card. According to the Dell website you DO have PCI-e x16 and with that corsair PSU you could pick any Graphics card you would like....

I suggest taking a read of >> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,3018.html

Have a great day!!!

Oh and watch out for the size of the video card you want, the higher end cards are very long...

Solution

Mister Facepalm

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Ah yes, I had a Studio 540 before... loved that PC. But yeah, inside the case, you may notice the large metal frame where your HDDs are screwed onto, that may block larger graphics cards from fitting into the case, so watch out. An NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti should fit in, just :p

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
A PCi-E connector is a 6 pin or 8 pin connector that you plug into a graphics card as they tend to take quite a bit more juice than the motherboard pci-e slot can provide.

Oh and if you got the handy tools... you can cut up the space in these OEM cases....
love doing that to old emachines / hp / dells... add fans...more space for vid cards... :D

G

Would an ati radeon hd 6950/6850/6870 fit? Also fungus where did you find the info about my pc? Could you provide a link?