New HAF 922 Case, Power Button Doesn't Work

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi, I bought a new case a few days ago and installed everything correctly (followed instructions) and after when I tried to start it up, the power button would not work. The last time it did work was when all the same components were in my old case. The computer works fine when I power up using the motherboard power button, as well as the the reset button, LED button, and HDD LEDs all work on the front panel. The power button is the only problem I have had. I have tried the method of shorting the two power pins with a screwdriver, and that was unsuccessful. Also, unfortunately I do not have the motherboard user manual since my motherboard came in a pre-made computer without any manuals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
RAM: Patriot DDR2 4GB @ 333Mhz
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770
Power Supply: Kingswin 600 Watt
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB HDD
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 160GB HDD
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card

Things Tried:
1. Flip polarity of front panel power button plug
2. Reset power supply
3. Switch reset button and power button plugs
4. Shorting out power pins with screwdriver (computer didn't turn on)

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
@ Moto - the original computer was a custom build computer with different parts. My mom used to work for a company called MDG that made custom computers and she got me the computer from there. Also, why would I need to replace psu if computer boots fine with motherboard power button?

@jsc - i tried this, the computer did not boot.

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi everyone, I solved my problem. It turns out that while reading the manual for my motherboard (thank you Motopsychojdn) the power button plug in fact goes into the RED pins, rather than the ORANGE pins (orange being the color of the power button wire). I had previously thought that the red wire, for the HDD LEDS went to the red pins, however I was wrong. Thanks again Motopsychojdn and jsc for your help!