Samsung X05/Centrino problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 12:39:26 PM

My wifes's X05 using XP is pants when it tries to connect to our home
network even though the Router (Belkin FSD6231-4) is only 5m away
through one wall. More often than not it will not connect, when it does
50% of the time it is at 5.5Mbps and then seemingly for no reason it
will jump to 11Mbps

Now I know that walls and all sorts of gubbins affect the signal but
with my Jornada 720 and Cisco 340 card I get clear uninterrupted
connections 25m away in the garden through 3 walls including one wall
which is stacked with the fridge freezer and oven!

So I then tried the Cisco card in the X05, result pretty good!

Not being overly clever with computer tech stuff, just enough to be
dangerous, I have installed XP SP2, and then uninstalled XP SP2 but no
difference. I have tried using WEP encryption and also no encryption,
SSID broadcast and SSID not broadcast, MAC filtering on MAC filtering
off, tried every channel but 11 seems to be the best.

In the network connections window I have under LAN or High Speed
Internet connections the Wireless Network (enabled) and also the LAN
network (disabled), under Network Bridge I have 1394 connection
(disabled) and Newtwork Bridge 29 (disabled).

So how can I improve the Centrino's performance? Is it something to do
with the software/setup or worse still the X05 is buggered, or is it
just normal.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Regards
John
June 18, 2005 9:08:01 PM

zacnici <Zacnici@flashmail.com> wrote:
: My wifes's X05 using XP is pants when it tries to connect to our home
: network even though the Router (Belkin FSD6231-4) is only 5m away
: through one wall. More often than not it will not connect, when it does
: 50% of the time it is at 5.5Mbps and then seemingly for no reason it
: will jump to 11Mbps

: Now I know that walls and all sorts of gubbins affect the signal but
: with my Jornada 720 and Cisco 340 card I get clear uninterrupted
: connections 25m away in the garden through 3 walls including one wall
: which is stacked with the fridge freezer and oven!

: So I then tried the Cisco card in the X05, result pretty good!

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on your Belkin router? Believe
it or not, your router could be the problem not the Intel Pro/2100
wireless card that is in your Centrino laptop. The router may "talk"
better to some wireless cards than others, and upgrading the router
firmware could improve this.

Go to Belkin's website and see if there is an updated firmware. If
there is one, install it and try again.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Thanks, I have tried that and the router firmware is up to date.
Subsequent to my first posting I used Netstumbler and noted that the
graphical display for the Cisco card was spikey whereas the Centrino
was just soild green. I don't know if that is significant

Regards
John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 11:43:06 AM

zacnici wrote:
> My wifes's X05 using XP is pants when it tries to connect to our home
> network even though the Router (Belkin FSD6231-4) is only 5m away
> through one wall. More often than not it will not connect, when it
> does 50% of the time it is at 5.5Mbps and then seemingly for no
> reason it will jump to 11Mbps
>
> Now I know that walls and all sorts of gubbins affect the signal but
> with my Jornada 720 and Cisco 340 card I get clear uninterrupted
> connections 25m away in the garden through 3 walls including one wall
> which is stacked with the fridge freezer and oven!
>
> So I then tried the Cisco card in the X05, result pretty good!
>
> Not being overly clever with computer tech stuff, just enough to be
> dangerous, I have installed XP SP2, and then uninstalled XP SP2 but no
> difference. I have tried using WEP encryption and also no encryption,
> SSID broadcast and SSID not broadcast, MAC filtering on MAC filtering
> off, tried every channel but 11 seems to be the best.
>
> In the network connections window I have under LAN or High Speed
> Internet connections the Wireless Network (enabled) and also the LAN
> network (disabled), under Network Bridge I have 1394 connection
> (disabled) and Newtwork Bridge 29 (disabled).
>
> So how can I improve the Centrino's performance? Is it something to do
> with the software/setup or worse still the X05 is buggered, or is it
> just normal.
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated
>
> Regards
> John

Check Samsung and Intel for driver updates for the mini-pci card. For
the router, turn off any speed enhancements (it is -b only, so probably
there are none). If the router has two antennas, orient the router so
that the front is facing the laptop's location since the strong signal
is perpenticular to the line connecting the antennas. If you can access
the mini-pci card, check the integrity of the laptop antenna
connections. In the card properties, make sure that power saving is
turned off. Examine the advanced card properties with the table of
user-configureable properties. If using Wireless Zero Configuration,
these should have no effect, but enter the appropriat network
information anyway. Be sure to set radio power to maximum, if there is
such a setting. Also, make sure that only one of Wireless Zero service
or the Intel management utility is running: start, run command, type:
msconfig[enter] and then select the Startup tab.