Usb generates message - drive e needs to be formatted

riopaloma

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
When I plug in a flash drive to a USB port, I get a message that the drive e needs to be formatted. It does recognize that a mass median device has been plugged in, but when I try to open the device, I get the format message. I've updated the drivers and still the same problem. Any ideas?
cd

riopaloma

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

This particular flash drive had data on it from a friend and I was going to copy it to my laptop pc when the problem first showed up. I was able to read and copy it using my desktop pc. I then took another flash drive that I have used before on this laptop, and tried it - and again, although it recognizes a mass media device in the drive, when I try to open it, it gives me the message that it needs formatted. That same device will read fine on my desktop. This laptop has 3 usb ports and none of them will work. Do you know if the usb ports have a main card or circuit board that just might have gone bad? Thanks

riopaloma

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Yes, the time I tried to use the flash drive from a friend who was using a mac. This problem is on a Dell laptop running XP. But then I was able to open and read that same flash drive on my desktop pc also running XP. Then I tried using a flash drive that I have used before on the laptop and it still gave me the same format message. I cannot read or open from any of the 3 usb ports. Thanks

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Try uninstalling all the USB drivers in device manager. Then restart your computer and windows will automatically reinstall the drivers. This does the trick a lot of times. Let me know how it works out.

riopaloma

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Thank you for the advice. I tried this. The drivers installed, but still the same problem. The other odd thing is that I used the USB port and down loaded pictures from my digital camera and that worked fine. So the USB port works with the camera, but not with a flash drive.