Sign in with
Your question

Infinite boot loop may be power related

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2011 12:08:06 PM

Hello,

I have a strange issue with a first build that may be power related or system build issue.

build specs are:

PS: Ultra Lifetime Series Pro 750W ATX12V & EPS12V
MB: Asus Motherboard P8P67 LE REV 3.0 Core
CPU: Quad Core i7-2600K 3.4Ghz LGA1155
FAN: Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler 1155/1156/1366
RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 RAM Module - DDR3 16 GB (4 x 4 GB)
Video: RADEON HD6870 1GB DDR5 HD
HD: (2) Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1 TB (Connected to 6gb/s sata iii)
BR: LiteOn iHBS212 Internal Blu-ray Writer
Tuner: Hauppauge 1196 WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid

I removed old pc with 500 w PSU and plugged this one in and it displayed ASUS with no POST beeps then powered down, a few seconds later you can hear the fans ramp up and it displays ASUS briefly with same behavior in loop..

I moved the pc and monitor to the kitchen on a different circuit in house and the computer boots no problems so I just had an electrician install a new circuit yesterday. Plugged the pc and monitor in new circuit and it worked but when I plugged all components (cable modem, wifi, printer, camera, phone, second monitor, etc...) in original circuit then the new build (On separate circuit) has same boot loop issue. If I unplug some items from original circuit then the PC boots. I'm baffled by this seemingly cross circuit issue. I' have the same devices on the old circuit as I have for years minus the old pc and the new circuit only has new pc and new monitor so how could I be overloading? BTW house panel is Square D

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
June 26, 2011 3:00:27 PM

I would try installing the old 500watt PSU in the new build just to eliminate or confirm a flaw with the new Ultra PSU!
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:42:51 AM

Thank you very much for responding rolli59. I've found the issue to be related to an External Western Digital hard drive. I didn't think listing peripherals was important when detailing my system specs but with this device connected to a USB 2.0 port in the new computer if the WD HD was powered up (Regardless of outlet/circuit) the computer would not boot - no POST. If I unplug the USB cable, even if the drive is powered on and all other peripherals connected to the UPS battery backup on the new circuit, the computer boots just fine.

I've found this article on WD's site but it's not the case for my BIOS (My boot order is DVD then Internal HD RAID 0 Volume). I also don't have any "boot from USB" option in my BIOS (UEFI).
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1201/~/...

I may connect the external drive to my WiFi router to see if that works. Otherwise I'll either need to connect the external drive after boot up (Which does work) or try a new external drive.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 1:18:32 AM

Update: I've found that the ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard has two firmware updates after the version supplied with the motherboard. I was on v1003 and v1013 was available. After updating to 1013 I no longer have the problem booting with the external HD connected.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:15:37 AM

Great news and important bit of information!
m
l
!