Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2 LAN ports ?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 13, 2012 3:21:55 AM

Nothing special, they are probably both the same and you can use either of them and it will work the same.

For a desktop machine, having a 2nd LAN port can be useful to share an internet between 2 computers without a router (using NAT), other than that there's not much use for it.

There might be other uses if the board is used in a server (load balancing, fault tolerance....)
June 13, 2012 3:57:25 AM

dalaran said:
Nothing special, they are probably both the same and you can use either of them and it will work the same.

For a desktop machine, having a 2nd LAN port can be useful to share an internet between 2 computers without a router (using NAT), other than that there's not much use for it.

There might be other uses if the board is used in a server (load balancing, fault tolerance....)

So I could use it as a splitter ? I have an ethernet cable going to my computer from my router and then could I have another cable going to my xbox from the computer ?
Related resources

Best solution

June 13, 2012 10:38:33 PM

Yes, I haven't done this in ages but windows XP or more does support it

Check these out

Windows XP : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Windows Vista or 7 : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 10:55:03 PM

Typically multiple LAN's are used for 'Teaming' or for LAN Parties for the other PC's. If you have a Home Server or Peer-to-Peer you can effectively double the bandwidth -- sort of like 'Bridging.' Your Router must support these features...most consumer lines do not support e.g. 'Teaming' aka Link aggregation.

This is not useful for Internet, but if you're transferring/sharing/databases large amounts of data then it's very useful.

June 13, 2012 11:46:08 PM

Best answer selected by logox.
June 13, 2012 11:46:31 PM

Thanks!
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 12:00:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!