Solved

I7-2600 Gaming PC Build

Hey everyone. This is the first time I've actually completely built a system and I'm thinking I want to go i7 just because of the if I build an i7 machine I'm hearing I will be able to upgrade to the i9 when it releases. Here is what I'm thinking. Suggestions and comments are awesome, so please feel free to pipe in.

Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 Case
Power Supply: Ultra Lifetime Series Pro 750W ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
Socket 1155 (New!) : Asus Motherboard P8P67 LE REV 3.0 Core i7/5/3 1155 P67 DDR3 USB3.0 PCI Express SATA 6Gb/s ATX Retail
Intel LGA 1155 CPU (New!): Quad Core i7-2600 3.4Ghz LGA1155 CPU BX80623i72600
DDR3 Memory Options: Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3
Video Card Options: Asus GTX460 GeForce GTX460 DirectCU 2DI 1G GDDR5
SATA Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1 TB Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drive: LiteOn 24X iHAS124 DVD-Writer - Black - Internal Bulk
OS: WINDOWS 7 Home Prem 64 Bit 1PK License and Media - OEM - 1 PC
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2600 gaming build
  1. I5 2500K is the sweat spot for gaming and would be as upgradeable since it uses the same motherboard.
  2. I agree with Rolli, unless you have a specific app for the i7, the 2600K chip only adds 100 MHz over the i5 2500K, and both use the 1155 mobo. At $100 more it in not a lot of bang for the buck.
  3. Best answer
    I also would recommend an alternative to the PSU. I had Ultra and they are OK, but not the best OEM. Better OEMs are Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic. If you stick with a 750W PSU you will have issues if you SLI (go to multiple GPUs). If you plan to do serious SLI/Xfire the ASUS P67 Rev is a great mobo. But if you don't plan to go multi GPU the P67 Rev. is overkill and a waste of $$$.

Regarding your HDD, I'd recommend the Caviar Black over the Blue. They tend to be more reliable.

Your list is CPU heavy and GPU light. I'd recommend a better GPU: the GTX 560 ti or the AMD 6950. I'd also recommend an SSD be added for better disk drive performance.
  4. This is what I ended up going with:

Case: Xigmatek PANTHEON BLACK CPC-T46DB-U02
    Motherboard: MSI Military Class II P67A-G43
    Processor: Intel i5 - 2500K @ 3.30GHz
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 850W
    Memory: 8.00GB RAM
    Video Card: AMd Radeon HD 6850
    HD: WD1002FAEX ATA

Built this about 6 months ago. Built it at just under $1000.
  5. Best answer selected by Nosfera.
  6. chesteracorgi said:
    I also would recommend an alternative to the PSU. I had Ultra and they are OK, but not the best OEM. Better OEMs are Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic. If you stick with a 750W PSU you will have issues if you SLI (go to multiple GPUs). If you plan to do serious SLI/Xfire the ASUS P67 Rev is a great mobo. But if you don't plan to go multi GPU the P67 Rev. is overkill and a waste of $$$.

Regarding your HDD, I'd recommend the Caviar Black over the Blue. They tend to be more reliable.

Your list is CPU heavy and GPU light. I'd recommend a better GPU: the GTX 560 ti or the AMD 6950. I'd also recommend an SSD be added for better disk drive performance.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did end up going with the Caviar Black, though prior to seeing your reply. I'd completely forgotten about posting this here. Unfortunately when I put this together I was limited on funds but wanted a good quality gaming rig. Thus far it has been the best computer I have ever had in my life. I've had no noticeable issues, yet. It is only 6 months old, though.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel i7 Systems