Sign in with
Your question

Should i buy an Anti Static Wrist strap?

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2011 1:55:16 PM

Before i ask, Ps3hacker12, dont troll this please!, you have already made your point -_- thanks.

anyways to those who are NOT ps3hacker12 or bnot... do you think i should buy one. Its going to be my first build. My room is carpet heavy (no where is it wooden, and also its rather thick), i have chairs which i can sit on but they have plastic lining on them (which i heard creates more static). also the table top is made of this plasticky texture too.

So is there alot of risk, it costs about 4 quid, so im wondering if i should get it?
June 26, 2011 2:01:01 PM

was just saying, if you lean on your case you can reduce static in the same way lol.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:02:41 PM

lol i know
but i ask here for different opinions from other people :) 
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2011 2:26:25 PM

unless you're constantly getting shocked walking around your mouse it wont be necessary. Just touch the case every so often and you should be fine. As a mater of fact you can make the anti-static band yourself, just get a steel wire tie it to your wrist and the other end to your computer case and it'll work the same way except it the ghetto way LOL.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:45:23 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
will tinfoil work?

Only if you wrap it around your ehtire head, but then how will you see to work?
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:46:02 PM

LOL why not, but be kinda retarded making strings out of tin foil.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:48:56 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Only if you wrap it around your ehtire head, but then how will you see to work?

i started doing that, but i ran out of foil :( 
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:48:57 PM

why my entire hand, i mean aluminium fiol, not tin foil

anyways
its going to be in a type of stringy shape. One end of he string wraps around my hand, the other end is tied to the metal case?

what do you think?
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:50:56 PM

pkhamidar2com said:

anyways
its going to be in a type of stringy shape. One end of he string wraps around my hand, the other end is tied to the metal case?

what do you think?

You should cover your whole body just in case XD.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:51:30 PM

@Chesteracorgi according to ps3hacker12 you were being sarcastic, in all honesty, will it work with aluminum foil, no jokes or ***
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:53:50 PM

pkhamidar2com said:

anyways

what do you think?

pkhamidar2com said:
@Chesteracorgi according to ps3hacker12 you were being sarcastic, in all honesty, will it work with aluminum foil, no jokes or ***

just get a copper wire (ill give you one if you want), tie it around your wrist and put the other end to a radiator or the metal casing if you want. imo you should just lean on the case or tap something metal occasionally. or just buy the strap.
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:01:40 PM

just buy an anti-static band on ebay. They are incredibly cheap. Better to be safe than sorry. You'll be more annoyed if one of your components worth £200 doesnt work, when you could have spent £1.50 on a band and been fine.
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:34:20 PM

I had an antistatic mat grounded and my wife didn't like it. So instead, whenever I need to work inside the case I take the following steps:

1. Shut down the rig.
2. Unplug it from the surge protector.
3. Wait at least 30 seconds.
4. Before touching anything else touch some grounded metal.
5. Touch some metal on the case.

Then and only then do I touch any electronic component.

I fried a mobo (back in the '90's) and following this routine have not fried anything since.

I also don't hotswap unless the component is USB, firewire or eSATA external to the case. Not worth the risk.

A wrist strap is well recommended, but don't stop with just a strap. Use good anti-static practice to avoid bricking your rig.
m
l
June 26, 2011 4:18:16 PM

Ok so ill get the strap, ill do those steps, etc etc...

whats hotswap?
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:32:02 PM

Hotswap is plugging in a SATA drive into a live mobo. It can be done (I did it myself) but then I got bad memories of when I fried my old mobo. Not that you can't do it, but why take a risk?
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:34:51 PM

hey i know you your on a really tight budget and dont mind buying off eBay nor about longer delivery times so theres this antistatic band for only £0.99 (free P&P too):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Static-ESD-Wrist-Strap-Disch...

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Discharge-Antistatic-Wrist-Strap-...

[EDIT]: for £0.59 more theres this UK seller anti-static band for only 0.99p and 59p P&P (also 4 day postage):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-static-Wristband-Wrist-Strap...
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:41:07 PM

ill get the more expensive one, im not waiting a month lol, and god, my chair broke even more now... you know it was hard to balance, well now its even worse... :( 
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:43:57 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
ill get the more expensive one, im not waiting a month lol, and god, my chair broke even more now... you know it was hard to balance, well now its even worse... :( 

WTF, how did it break even more?!? it was already like trying to ride a unicycle, why not just use a replacement chair?
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:59:42 PM

We cba at the moment, lol you know it was just a bit broken metal, well now themetals completely come off everywhere, its pretty much balancing. Its gonna fall off soon, i have to keep balancing lol.
m
l
June 26, 2011 6:02:45 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
We cba at the moment, lol you know it was just a bit broken metal, well now themetals completely come off everywhere, its pretty much balancing. Its gonna fall off soon, i have to keep balancing lol.

meh, its a good workout lol.
m
l
!