Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DS displaying on TV - BS or not?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 1, 2004 6:18:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://forums.warppipe.com/viewtopic.php?t=13217&postda...
c&start=0

More about : displaying

December 1, 2004 9:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> http://forums.warppipe.com/viewtopic.php?t=13217&postda...
> c&start=0

Yeah, I just played with Nintendo DS near a TV and there does appear to some
UHF EMI. Using an active gain antenna, (after finding the power cord for
it), the EMI image is fairly distiguisable. I've seen worse interference
from other devices though. Even using my active antenna, I had to be
relatively close (three feet) before there was any interference. Not a big
deal. I tried the same thing with my GBA-SP and didn't see any
interference. I guess the GBA-SP is using less power and/or had better
shielding.

I have access to spectrum analyzers at work. Perhaps I'll take my DS in
and, if I'm bored on a lunch break, take a look at what the DS is putting
out. Took a quick look at the above forum. Sorry, guys, this no "hidden
feature". LOL :^)

-Eric
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 8:06:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in
news:10qskpnc6lpg107@corp.supernews.com:

>> http://forums.warppipe.com/viewtopic.php?t=13217&postda...
>> as c&start=0
>
> Yeah, I just played with Nintendo DS near a TV and there does appear
> to some UHF EMI. Using an active gain antenna, (after finding the
> power cord for it), the EMI image is fairly distiguisable. I've seen


I think the problem is some of the less knowledgable DS users think this is
an intentional feature of the unit rather than a lack of shielding...

toad.
Related resources
December 2, 2004 3:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Toad-Man wrote:

> "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in
> news:10qskpnc6lpg107@corp.supernews.com:
>
> >>
> http://forums.warppipe.com/viewtopic.php?t=13217&postda...
> >> as c&start=0
> >
> > Yeah, I just played with Nintendo DS near a TV and there does appear
> > to some UHF EMI. Using an active gain antenna, (after finding the
> > power cord for it), the EMI image is fairly distiguisable. I've
> > seen
>
>
> I think the problem is some of the less knowledgable DS users think
> this is an intentional feature of the unit rather than a lack of
> shielding...
>
> toad.

Yeah but the thing that perplexes me is... I would think it would be a
digital signal going from the VPU to the LCD display. Now I could
understand having some interference, but how would that signal actually
be decoded and displayed on an old analog tv?
December 2, 2004 5:57:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> > Yeah, I just played with Nintendo DS near a TV and there does appear
> > to some UHF EMI. Using an active gain antenna, (after finding the
> > power cord for it), the EMI image is fairly distiguisable. I've seen
>
>
> I think the problem is some of the less knowledgable DS users think this
is
> an intentional feature of the unit rather than a lack of shielding...
>

Pretty much...
December 2, 2004 6:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> Yeah but the thing that perplexes me is... I would think it would be a
> digital signal going from the VPU to the LCD display. Now I could
> understand having some interference, but how would that signal actually
> be decoded and displayed on an old analog tv?

Obviously there is an analog video signal at some point in the DS. The
question now just becomes where (and if) there is D/A conversion driving the
LCD. The LCD may be digital and being driven be an D/A IC, or the LCD may
even be analog. (There are such animals, analog LCD's) Some "analog" LCD's
simply are called such for they accept analog inputs, but have an onboard
D/A converter to drive the pixels -- others are actually driven completetly
by analog signals.
!