How to see data on my old harddisk by an external USB encl..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 12:43:08 PM

I couldn't see data on my old laptop hard disk when I used an external
USB enclosure. I used windows XP and it could find the hard disk. But
it just showed unallocated space on the hard disk by Disk Management.
Could someone point out what problem it is and what I can do now?

My old laptop doesn't work because of hardware problem.
The old hard disk: IBM travelstar 20GB
External USB enclosure: suppose USB 2.0, bought on ebay

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 1:14:36 PM

thank you.
It's not a drive letter. It did not even allow me to assign one. It
showed me the probable size of hard disk and marked as "unallocated
space".
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 1:49:19 PM

No, it is usb powered. I am going to try to put double usb cables on to
get more power as manual suggested.

If it works, would I see a drive letter so that I can access to my
data?

Do I need to try another enclosure? Which one would you like to suggest?
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 2:22:08 PM

OS is Windows ME on my old hard drive. Forget which format it was.

OS on the laptop I am using is Windows XP.

Hope it's not hardware problem on my old hard dirve. What happened to
the old one was that the screen was getting blank so I swithed off.
Nothing was coming up after I switched back on. Keyboard, screen were
just dead. The only noise was from the electric fan.

I unsuccessfully tried to assign to a drive letter in disk management
by right clicking.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 3:38:25 PM

freetrader wrote:

>I couldn't see data on my old laptop hard disk when I used an external
>USB enclosure. I used windows XP and it could find the hard disk. But
>it just showed unallocated space on the hard disk by Disk Management.
>Could someone point out what problem it is and what I can do now?
>
>My old laptop doesn't work because of hardware problem.
>The old hard disk: IBM travelstar 20GB
>External USB enclosure: suppose USB 2.0, bought on ebay
>
>Thank you.

Does your USB hard disk enclosure have an external power supply? It may
be that there is not enouth power from the USB port to run the disk.

Some of them have a PS2 port power option as well as an external plug in
supply.
June 18, 2005 7:54:08 PM

While you were looking at it in Disk Management did it have a drive letter
assigned?

"freetrader" <nzhang@freebetstrader.co.uk> wrote in message
I couldn't see data on my old laptop hard disk when I used an external
USB enclosure. I used windows XP and it could find the hard disk. But
it just showed unallocated space on the hard disk by Disk Management.
Could someone point out what problem it is and what I can do now?

My old laptop doesn't work because of hardware problem.
The old hard disk: IBM travelstar 20GB
External USB enclosure: suppose USB 2.0, bought on ebay

Thank you.
June 18, 2005 9:02:42 PM

freetrader <nzhang@freebetstrader.co.uk> wrote:
: No, it is usb powered. I am going to try to put double usb cables on to
: get more power as manual suggested.

: If it works, would I see a drive letter so that I can access to my
: data?

: Do I need to try another enclosure? Which one would you like to suggest?

Using one that is not self-powered is a good idea. But I doubt this
will solve your problem. If the drive is showing up to Windows now,
it is probably getting power.

What format is the old hard drive? FAT32 or NTFS? (What OS was it?)

There's also the possiblity that your old hard drive just got
corrupted. What happened to the old laptop?

How did you try to assign a drive letter? Are you in disk management?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 18, 2005 10:03:38 PM

freetrader <nzhang@freebetstrader.co.uk> wrote:
: OS is Windows ME on my old hard drive. Forget which format it was.

If it is from Windows ME then it is a FAT32 drive, just for your
information.

I would download the Ultimate Boot CD and try some of the utilities
there:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you can burn a CD, grab the .iso file of the UBCD and burn a copy,
then boot that CD.

There is an IBM drive fitness test there plus some other utilities.
See first of all if the IBM software can see the drive and any format.
You can also get the IBM software directly from:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

but you might find the other utilities on UBCD helpful.

An advanced option might be to try to boot a Linux version from CD
(e.g. Ubuntu live boot), then try to mount the USB hard drive in
linux. The latest Linux versions should have USB hard drive support.
This is probably not the fastest way, but you could get a Ubuntu Live
CD (boot only, does not install on your hard drive) from
http://www.ubuntulinux.org, burn the .iso file, boot it, then try to
mount the drive with something like:

(open a terminal window)
mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
mount -t msdos /dev/sd0 /mnt/usbdrive

This may be beyond you, and there are easier ways to do it I'm sure,
but it would take Windows out of the equation.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 18, 2005 11:45:30 PM

freetrader wrote:
> OS is Windows ME on my old hard drive. Forget which format it was.
>
> OS on the laptop I am using is Windows XP.
>
> Hope it's not hardware problem on my old hard dirve. What happened to
> the old one was that the screen was getting blank so I swithed off.
> Nothing was coming up after I switched back on. Keyboard, screen were
> just dead. The only noise was from the electric fan.
>
> I unsuccessfully tried to assign to a drive letter in disk management
> by right clicking.

If your old data is valuable, I'd suggest you NOT go messing around with
a USB enclosure. Beg or borrow an adapter that can connect your laptop
drive directly to a desktop IDE bus as the secondary drive.
Get the data off then go back to
messing with USB. I've been having fits trying to get drivers to work
on a usb to IDE adapter working.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2005 4:05:57 AM

Thank you Andrew, mike and the rest of all for your concerning and
suggest.
I'm going to try mike's suggest first to get an adapter for a desktop
IDE because I am afraid of data.

To boot from a CD is a good idea so that I can check my old PC, I will
do it as well. Linux one is really beyond me. I may try the drive
fittness test as Andrew suggested. But it would be in late stage.

Mike, any suggestion where I can get the adapter.
June 19, 2005 4:17:15 AM

freetrader wrote:
> Thank you Andrew, mike and the rest of all for your concerning and
> suggest.
> I'm going to try mike's suggest first to get an adapter for a desktop
> IDE because I am afraid of data.
>
> To boot from a CD is a good idea so that I can check my old PC, I will
> do it as well. Linux one is really beyond me. I may try the drive
> fittness test as Andrew suggested. But it would be in late stage.
>
> Mike, any suggestion where I can get the adapter.

You can find 'em on EBAY. Frys probably has 'em. I don't remember
where I got mine...probably a garage sale. Search for adapter to put
2.5" hard drive into a
desktop. Try various combinations of keywords. It's just a 44 pin
socket to the laptop drive and a 4-pin power plug and 40-pin ide plug.
If you just want the data files, you can copy them. If you want the
whole thing, better image the drive too.
mike
..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
June 19, 2005 12:07:55 PM

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
: You can find 'em on EBAY. Frys probably has 'em.

I got one of those adaptors at Fry's myself, but it's not going to
help him in Britain. The adaptor might indeed get around the problem,
but I think it can still be solved with USB.

For what it's worth, I've been playing with USB enclosures for a while
and never had any problem with them. They are extremely handy and
have helped me on numerous occasions. Windows 98 and ME are a pain
because you need the driver disk for the enclosure, but the drivers
are built into Windows XP (at least with the two enclosure models I've
used). I've also plugged at least a half dozen types of drives into
these enclosures, ranging from eight-year-old drives to brand new
ones, and amazingly, they all come up.

It's probably a matter of figuring out how to assign a drive letter to
the drive in Windows. To the original poster: try using "diskpart"
in a command window. In Windows, do a help on "assign drive letter"
and read about it there. See if any info about your drive shows up
when you do "diskpart" and you have your USB enclosure plugged in.

You might also try plugging the drive into a different USB port.

By the way, this is not an uncommon problem, apparently, after a
little searching. I found this thread:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=57128&...

Go to the very bottom and try the last guy's suggestion. That's what
I would try next. It's not as radical as it might sound.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

It's what I'm afraid Chris-hill. Anyway I would like to try my hard
drive on desktop PC.

I have found one (IDE adapter for laptop drive) on ebay and other
shopping web sites. It will take 1 or 2 working days to delivery.

Sorry mike, it doesn't mean I don't trust you. Because I am new to USB
enclosure and have to try different ways.
June 19, 2005 5:35:35 PM

Andrew wrote:
> mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
> : You can find 'em on EBAY. Frys probably has 'em.
>
> I got one of those adaptors at Fry's myself, but it's not going to
> help him in Britain. The adaptor might indeed get around the problem,
> but I think it can still be solved with USB.
>
> For what it's worth, I've been playing with USB enclosures for a while
> and never had any problem with them. They are extremely handy and
> have helped me on numerous occasions. Windows 98 and ME are a pain
> because you need the driver disk for the enclosure, but the drivers
> are built into Windows XP (at least with the two enclosure models I've
> used). I've also plugged at least a half dozen types of drives into
> these enclosures, ranging from eight-year-old drives to brand new
> ones, and amazingly, they all come up.

OK, you caught me.
I'm using 98SE. And I'm not trying REAL usb enclosures. They're
USB to IDE adapters stolen off an Imation IDE Superdisk using the
datastor drivers.
USB driver seems to be happy. SCSI driver hooked to it seems to be
happy. Just no visibility of the disk drive. Not at all clear why
SCSI is involved in the IDE translation...
mike

> It's probably a matter of figuring out how to assign a drive letter to
> the drive in Windows. To the original poster: try using "diskpart"
> in a command window. In Windows, do a help on "assign drive letter"
> and read about it there. See if any info about your drive shows up
> when you do "diskpart" and you have your USB enclosure plugged in.
>
> You might also try plugging the drive into a different USB port.
>
> By the way, this is not an uncommon problem, apparently, after a
> little searching. I found this thread:
>
> http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=57128&...
>
> Go to the very bottom and try the last guy's suggestion. That's what
> I would try next. It's not as radical as it might sound.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2005 7:20:44 PM

On 18 Jun 2005 08:43:08 -0700, "freetrader"
<nzhang@freebetstrader.co.uk> wrote:

>I couldn't see data on my old laptop hard disk when I used an external
>USB enclosure. I used windows XP and it could find the hard disk. But
>it just showed unallocated space on the hard disk by Disk Management.
>Could someone point out what problem it is and what I can do now?
>
>My old laptop doesn't work because of hardware problem.
>The old hard disk: IBM travelstar 20GB
>External USB enclosure: suppose USB 2.0, bought on ebay

Sure sounds like something got wiped off of the drive. You may be
able to find utilities that can rebuild the partition table which may
gain you access. I don't think the problem is either with xp not
being able to see the drive or with the usb case.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 1:27:19 AM

On 19 Jun 2005 13:29:04 -0700, "freetrader"
<nzhang@freebetstrader.co.uk> wrote:

>It's what I'm afraid Chris-hill. Anyway I would like to try my hard
>drive on desktop PC.
>
>I have found one (IDE adapter for laptop drive) on ebay and other
>shopping web sites. It will take 1 or 2 working days to delivery.

You can get them in Maplins - about 8 quid.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 6:12:31 PM

Thanks all of you. I have got my data with IDE adapter for laptop
drive.

I bought it on ebay at £3.75. Because it was connected to the second
IDE interface, I set my laptop drive as a slave drive and connected it
to a desktop. After swithing on, it showed me the laptop dirve with a
logical letter. (So excited at that time)

Copied and burned it on a CD. It's all, just saved me £80 from a local
computer shop, you know what robberng is now.

Thank you very much again.
!