Please help upgrade/new one

ista

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce you my particular case and even complex, I truly appreciate any help you can provide me. During my last year, I’ve been studying abroad (UK) and at the end I got a permanent position here. In Spain, I left my desktop gaming PC and now that I will earn some money since Sept-Oct, I would like to study the possibility of bringing my old PC or build a new one.

My computer in Spain is:
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400
- CPU Fan: Xilence P4 775
- Motherboard: ECS P35t-A
- GPU: XFX Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
- Memory: 4gb (4x1) Kingston ValueRam DDR2 800
- TFT: Samsung 2032nw (1680x1050)
- Power Supply: TACENS Radix II Smart 520w

Because I’ve been one whole year without “gaming” I actually don’t know how old my computer is and if it would be able to handle the current/new games that are coming.

The main problem is that until October I won’t have any money for buying a new system (and from the next month I will have free time for playing)

Now in mid-July I go back to Spain and I have the opportunity to bring to UK certain/all parts of my old computer. I know that in Spain, none except me will use my computer. Hence there are different options:

- Bring some pieces, buy other pieces here now (max budget 450 dollars, 300 pounds) and follow a “transition plan” in order to end with a good system in a midterm (Christmas 2011).

- Is It worth it to bring my whole current PC and keep playing with it?

- Discard the option of bringing my current PC, try to sell second-handed some pieces and by a new computer in UK.

In order to give you an idea of the budget that I can face for a new system in Sept-Oct, I thought about this system (max budget 600pounds, 950-1000dollars)

- Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache
- CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Mobo: Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3
- Memory: G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Ripjaws Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
- GPU: ASUS HD 6850 Direct CU 1GB GDDR5
- Screen: LG M237WDP 23" LCD TV/ Monitor Full HD (1920x1200)
- PSU: Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU
PRICE: 550 Pounds (from Ebuyer.com)

I would like to comment that even I consider myself a gamer, I am not an enthusiast of max specs. I never did OC (but I would like to learn how) and even I would like to have a powerful system I need to think of my budget (that’s why I chose a new AMD based computer).
My target is to be able of run at high settings the next coming games: BF3, MW3, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft II, the new Oblivion…

The most interesting option for me would be to buy something new now and to get profit of some parts of my previous computer and end with a good system at Christmas. Maybe I can get this buying a new case, PSU, CPU fan and graphic card (HD5850, 6850), keep the motherboard, CPU and memory. The next step would be to buy a hybrid motherboard 775-1115 (with the proper upgrade to memory modules DDR3) OC my e8400. The final step would be to buy an i3-2100 or i5-2500. Even this can be more expensive than the AMD-based option; I could pay by separate terms and adapt my PC to future changes of hardware (new coming CPUs??) and I would be glad of taking profit of some parts of my previous computer.

Regarding the monitor thing, maybe is not worth to bring my 20” Samsung TFT to UK (in my luggage) and it’s better to buy a new 23”-24” LCD monitor 1920x1200 in UK (It would be also my main TV at home).

Again, thank you!!
Regards

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Congrats on the job prospect and good luck.

Regarding the timing of your planned purchase I'd suggest that you put in another inquiry within a month or less of your purchase. The PC platform changes so much from month to month that you would be using an outmoded recommendation in October if you take all advice now.

Regarding your old PC, it depends on what games you are playing whether you should bring it to the UK. If your current rig gives you decent performance then keep it until you can afford new.

Regarding a new rig I'd recommend that you not go the AMD route as the Intel Sandybridge is so much more advanced in architechture at your price point. At the lower end of gaming the AMD may be competative, but your budget begs for the i5 2500K, and you can do OC'ing with the right mobo.

But then again this recommendation is based on the currrent state of affairs and the Bulldozer platform from AMD has been expected to be released this Spring/Summer. Without seeing what AMD brings to the table I would not rely on any current recommendation.

The parts you recommend are generally solid for the components except the AMD CPU and Mobo. The difference in price should be less than $100 for the Intel over the AMD. If you need to save cash, get some interim CPU like the i3 2100 until you can afford the i5 2500K. I always prefer not to take interim steps because of the additional cost but sometimes it is necessary to have an operational build.

I wouldn't try to pack a monitor in luggage because of the rough handling by customs. My recommendation is to sell the monitor in Spain, or ship it by a relaible carrier with insurance.

ista

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Thank you so much for your advice. I got your point. I didn’t know anything about the Bulldozer platform so I’ve been reading now about it and as you said, it would be better to wait until the Bulldozer are released and compared with the Sandybridge.

Hence, what I will do is to bring my current computer to UK (CPU+Fan, Mobo, Memory, HDD and GPU) and wait for the new platforms are released.

So now, I would like to ask for your opinion for replacing items that I cannot bring with mu luggage and that I could also use for my future system:

CASE: Obviously I cannot put this into my luggage. So what do you think about a good computer case that I can also use for my future system:

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case (53,36 pounds)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239757

NZXT Lexa S Case (57,78 pounds)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175611

Do you recommend me other case?

PSU: My previous PSU (TACENS Radix II Smart 520w) works well, but if I can also anticipate to the PSU (I don’t know how the PSU changes from month to month) I could buy a new one and save space in my luggage:

Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU (89,93 pounds)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159920

Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified (68,87 pounds)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/257232

Do you recommend me other PSU?

CASE+PSU: I cannot avoid to ask you about this special bundle:

CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177749

Monitor: I’m looking for a 22”-24” with 1920x1200 res . Any particular advice?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
as youve found ebuyer is quite good, other sites here in the UK that are great include aria.co.uk , dabs.com , scan.co.uk , novatech.co.uk , overclockers.co.uk etc. its worth it shopping around to find the best deals. Though i usually find Ebuyer and Aria have the best prices.

ista

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Thank you for your advice. I didn't know other pages apart from ebuyer so it's good to know in order to compare :) .