The most expensive part of computer system

ItsFixed

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
It's usually the Motherboard. Sometimes online you can find CPU/Motherboard combos to lighten the price. RAM can be pretty expensive also. Hard drives are around the same price as ram and so are Graphics cards.

This, for me. I hate cheap motherboards.

A nice motherboard cures many ills and is the foundation of your rig, now, and in the future. AND, if you play by the rules your OEM operating system is keyed to it, so you may as well invest in a nice one.

Expensive mother boards are only if you want to do alot of upgrading and get the last bit from your overclock. If you will put together a system and leave it then just get the cheapest (but a reasonable make) that has the features you need, the money is better spent on a better CPU or GPU.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
As other posters before me have already laid out, depends on what the PC is gonna be used for mainly.

For a general purpose one, it's always the monitor $100-200. (Roughly - CPU-$80-120, Mobo $60-100, RAM- $20-50, HDD- $40-60, PSU- $30-50, Case- $20-80, GPU- $30-100).

For a PC that'll do something graphics intensive though, it'll be the Graphics card. As for running multi threaded CPU intensive apps, they'll need a much more powerful processor.

And these are for consumer end desktops only. High end server processors alone can cost a whole lot more than a whole mid range quality PC in it's entirety.