Asus sabertooth x79. gpu and sound card both in 16 x run like 2 gpu's?

Hey i recently got the Asus sabertooth x79 and now i want to install Creative sb x-fi titanium in it. The problem is that the card i pci 1x and there is very little room between my gtx 680 twin frozr III and the pci 1x slot. I know that pcie 16x is backwards compatible but if i install the Sound card in the other 16x or the 8x at the bottom will the board then reconize it as two graphics cards and run them in 8x and 8x or will it now affect my gpu?
14 answers Last reply
More about asus sabertooth sound card
  1. Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

I have the same MOBO, you have (2) choices SLI or single GPU: 1. 2nd PCIe x1 (underneath SABERTOOTH X79 on MOBO), or bottom dark brown PCIe x16 (x8 mode).

I have SLI and my preference is the bottom dark brown PCIe x16 slot. The (2) tan PCIe x16 are best for GPU's, and I agree not to needlessly block the GPU's intake.
  2. so what do you think i should do pcie 1x or pcie 16 or 8x?:D
  3. 6 of 1, I'd keep it away from the GTX 680 so my pick is the "bottom dark brown PCIe x16 (x8 mode)" slot and if there's some issue then the "2nd PCIe x1" slot.

I have not tried a sound card yet, but since according to the IRQ Chart they're all the same it shouldn't matter. Looks are important -- go with the one that looks best.
  4. you´re awesome man thanks:D:D:D:D
  5. Let me know how it turns out!
  6. i will:D
  7. sorry im asking again i just want to be 100% sure. if i put the sound card in the pci express 16 or the 8x, would it affect the performance of my gtx 680?
  8. IF you have (1) GTX 680 and it's in the top PCIe x16 slot then ZERO % chance of it effecting performance. If you have SLI GTX 680 whichever slot you pick is going to block one of the GPU's and in that case "2nd PCIe x1" slot has the least impact and you still should have PCIe 2.0 x16/x16.

BTW - there is a way to mod the registry for PCIe 3.0 support, but the only confirmed help is in 4-WAY SLI GTX 680.
  9. so if i install it in the bottom bown 8x that would give the best result? sorry for the newbieness:D
  10. brown*
  11. The least impactful is an PCIe x1 slot, but if you have (1) GPU IMO due to blocking the fans use the bottom (Brown) PCIe x8 slot...if you have (2) GPU's then I'd opt for the available PCIe x1 slot either location in SLI is going to block one of the (2) GPU's.
  12. ok thanks i´ll start with the bottom brown. i´ll let you know how it turns out. just need my sound card to arrive first:D
  13. jaquith said:
    The least impactful is an PCIe x1 slot, but if you have (1) GPU IMO due to blocking the fans use the bottom (Brown) PCIe x8 slot...if you have (2) GPU's then I'd opt for the available PCIe x1 slot either location in SLI is going to block one of the (2) GPU's.
  14. Hi Jaquith

Having exactly the same problem....SB Titanium sound card that wont't fit together with my gforce 560i...
    Wonder how they miss this problem when designing the mobo...
    Changed my 560 from slot 1 to 4. Know n1 is recommended. Can't find anything about performance loss betwen slots 1 and 4.
    Now I find this about placing SB Titanium on slot 6 PCIe at 8x....

Is this for good? (placing the small foot into the big hole?) are they really compatible?
    Very tempted to try this and also afraid of blowing everything into the ceiling...

And btw do you happen to know about performance loss btw 1 and 4?
    Much Obliged
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Sabertooth GPUs