Solution
Very few games right now will take advantage of more than 3 threads. Because of this the value for hyper-threading or more then 4 cores are very limited in gaming. So for gaming right now the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is about the best processor that you can get your hands on. In terms of value and performance it is almost unbeatable.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition $180
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS 8GB DDR3 RAM (2 x 4gb) $80 TigerDirect
SIGMA PHANTOM PHANTOM-WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60
HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723015BLA642 $65
Windows 7 64 Home premium $100
MSI 870S-G46 $80
MSI AMD Radeon 6850 $150
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 $80
optical drives $40
Flash card reader $17
Wireless lan card $25

Ok so u convinced me Intel is better now,
2500k or 2600k cause they have a $80 difference

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

My parents are now going to buy me 2 computers:
1. from HP (my main one) w/ 2600k. In all honesty I REALLY want an AMD processor just cause my first comp was an AMD, but i'm willing for change
and
2. Parts from newegg for me to build my own

Timop

Distinguished

If you really want AMD, wait for BD in the coming months so you can get the best and brightest.
AMD CPUs right now are only competing well in mid-range/budget, and their high-ends are pretty bad for gaming.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

Cause my parents think it's not ok to spend more than $1000 on ONE computer, so no matter what, I'm not getting a better computer than the one from HP

Timop

Distinguished

$1000 builds you a great computer if you do it yourself though...

Very few games right now will take advantage of more than 3 threads. Because of this the value for hyper-threading or more then 4 cores are very limited in gaming. So for gaming right now the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is about the best processor that you can get your hands on. In terms of value and performance it is almost unbeatable.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution