Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading from HD 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2011 8:33:36 PM

I plan on upgrading from my HD Radeon 4850 card, however I don't know weather I should by another and put them in CrossFire, or purchase a single newer card. Any thoughts on this?

(I mostly play COD type games, and I do a lot of graphic design work in Photoshop)

Specs:
Core 2 Quad 2.66ghz
Gskill 4g DDR2
LG Flatron 1920x1080

More about : upgrading 4850

a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 6:08:59 PM

I don't think it'd be worth it to buy another 4850. You could grab a 1 gb 6850 for 150 bucks and that'll last you just fine.

Just make sure your PSU would be alright.
Score
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 7:43:50 PM

I don't bother with crossfire because you can run into heat issues and driver issues. A simple solution is just replace it with another single card. What is your budget? Since you are 2 generations of cards back, the 6xxx series card equivalent would be a 6950. It resides in that same tier as your 4850 did back when. A choice would revolve around what budget you have and what powers supply you are running.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 8:28:04 PM

jay2tall said:
I don't bother with crossfire because you can run into heat issues and driver issues. A simple solution is just replace it with another single card. What is your budget? Since you are 2 generations of cards back, the 6xxx series card equivalent would be a 6950. It resides in that same tier as your 4850 did back when. A choice would revolve around what budget you have and what powers supply you are running.

Just because the HD 4850 is older, doesn't mean it is a bad card... It would be a great money saving solution. $50 for another in CF, great deal! Yes, you do lack DX11, tessellation, and you get more heat, but for $50! That is a great deal. I wouldn't pass it up. It will give you more brute power than the hd6850 anyway...
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 9:37:36 PM

I would go 6850 or higher and not bother with Crossfire. With your card being two generations older than whats out now you will get to a point where driver profiles for games just plain wont support your hardware properly.
Its bad enough being one generation old and watching updates concentrating on the new cards so you actually loose performance from a driver upgrade, never mind relying on crossfire profiles for a card 2 gens old.

Mactronix :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 9:40:54 PM

I VOTE CF THE CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will still have supported drivers for at least 2-3 more years!
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 10:06:50 PM

HostileDonut said:
I VOTE CF THE CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will still have supported drivers for at least 2-3 more years!

In a way I agree with this, and in a way I do not. HD 4850 cards are great cards for their time, and regardless of lacking DX 11 features, they can still run any game released as of now. However, given this fact, there is one lingering issue I do have with AMD when it comes to recommending prior generation cards, and that is driver support. To be clear on this, I would not even remotely suggest without a doubt that the HD 3xxx and 4xxx line will continue to receive reliable driver support updates for at least 2-3 more years. What a lot of people have seemed to not mention, did not notice, or have forgotten, is that AMD was very quick to drop reliable driver support for the X800 generation up to the X1900 line of cards. While I do understand why support was discontinued for the X800 line (lacking pixel shader 3.0 support), dropping support for the X1800 and X1900 cards was pretty horrible considering plenty of people gaming still use XP even now, and that games are still using Direct X 9.0c still, which those cards were fully capable of doing. I do understand, they need to move newer product, and shift focus, money, and manpower towards those newer cards, but still, the death of the X1800 and X1900 lines were very premature.

Due to that, I would only recommend you go with another HD 4850 if you are ok with the possibility of support being dropped within the next year to a year and a half, because the possibility is very much there of support being dropped, and updated AMD legacy drivers for older Radeon cards are all but useless, as they rely on the last official driver sets released. And to be honest, if you are able to squeeze a year or more of great performance out of any kind of $50 gpu upgrade, then that in itself is great. If you are looking to future proof your system a bit more though, like lets say for the next two and a half years at least, then I would go with a HD 6850-6970 type of card, and either keep the HD 4850 you have now for back up, or sell it and put 50 bucks back in your pocket.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 10:40:01 PM

I doubt he would get $50 for a used hd4850 when you can pick up a brand new one off of newegg for $50 after MIR.
Score
April 15, 2011 12:34:35 AM

You could get a 6950. Really good cards imo. I picked up two of them on newegg for 230 each... Incredible performance for the price...
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:15:00 AM

That 4850 for 50 buck is a great deal.
Get it fast as it is the last 4850 left on NewEgg e-shelves.
Score
April 16, 2011 4:10:16 AM

Thanks guys for all of your input. I guess I am still kinda in the same position, there are pros and cons for both choices. I will wait a little bit longer and see how this 4850 holds up and probably upgrade to a newer single card like the 6970. Overall I have been happy with the performance for the past 2 years, and its still chugging along. But I dont know how much longer it will go being 2 gen old now.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 7:48:28 AM

plznote said:
That 4850 for 50 buck is a great deal.
Get it fast as it is the last 4850 left on NewEgg e-shelves.

How do you know how many more they have? How do you check? When I added two to my cart, it didn't say there weren't two cards left.
Score
April 19, 2011 1:40:16 AM

Best answer selected by arnydo.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 7:14:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!