Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-760 Stock - Overtemp

Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2011 9:14:16 AM

Hi everyone - a newbie question:

I've an i5-760, not OC'd, and with stock cooler that came attached and installed with my built system. The Gigabyte temp monitor runs at 88 deg C at full CPU load (like when encoding videos) and I've checked using CPUID HWMonitor and result is same). Idle is 30 deg C iwth ambient around 21 deg C. Case is a well-cooled Antec 300.

Based on what I've read in these forums this seems a very high temp? Can anyone advise?? Did my system builder forget thermal paste?

TIA,

More about : 760 stock overtemp

a b à CPUs
September 22, 2011 11:26:05 AM

does seem too high--using too much thermal paste can also cause problems same as not using any

tell the person who built it that it doesnt seem right
September 22, 2011 11:31:59 AM

it it a stock cooler? and no not right take it back!
Related resources

Best solution

September 22, 2011 1:44:07 PM

idle seems normal, but full load isn't normal to be 88°C...

Check out if thermal paste is correct and also, if the heatsink is well install, if one on four pin isn't correct insert through motherboard, this can cause that.

Note : It's easy to hide a broken heatsink pin, looks like in the hole but not giving the strengh.
September 22, 2011 2:42:12 PM

Not experienced with i5's, but my i7 came up to 82 degrees at full load. What helped me was to lover vcore voltage. It was set on auto - and went from 0.94 to 1.25. I sat it on 1.15, and that lowered full load temp with more than 10 degrees!

Check stock voltage and how much you can lower your i5, and try different settings.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2011 2:52:08 PM

88 degrees is much to high I personally would not except any temperature over 60 degrees. I suspect that the heatsink is not mounted correctly.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2011 3:07:51 PM

The stock heatsink comes pre applied with thermal compound. If you added some on top of that there would most likely be a temperature increase. Also the stock Intel coolers are infamous for being a pain to install correctly. Part of you problem as suggested, is probably one or more push pins aren't fastened correctly. You might have to take the mobo ouot to check, I don't think the antec 300 has a motherboard cut out.
September 25, 2011 10:08:51 AM

Hi everybody - thanks for the great replies. mcnumpty23 & robin banks were spot on - the stock cooler wasn't 'clicked' into place properly. Words were spoken with the PC store - but I bought a Cooler Master 212 Plus anyway (from a different store!).
Thanks for your assistance, all temps now good,
October 5, 2011 11:02:40 AM

Best answer selected by DDDblack.
!