Sign in with
Your question

SSD OS, HDD storage

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2011 5:46:31 PM

I heard that I can load an OS into an SSD but store my stuff on a Hard Drive. How do I do that

More about : ssd hdd storage

a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2011 6:03:38 PM

Step 1. Get an SSD.
Step 2. Plug it in.
Step 3. Sett boot order and install OS
Step 4. Move unnecessary files to HDD.
Step 5. :>
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2011 6:30:31 PM

Timop said:
Step 1. Get an SSD.
Step 2. Plug it in.
Step 3. Sett boot order and install OS
Step 4. Move unnecessary files to HDD.
Step 5. :>

Is the SSD thing worth it?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 26, 2011 10:10:58 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
Is the SSD thing worth it?

Your question might fit better in the "Storage" forum, but I think this sentence copied from "Best SSDs For The Money: May 2011" answers your question:
If you don't need to copy gigabytes of data quickly or load games in the blink of an eye, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with a mechanical hard drive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
June 27, 2011 3:50:45 AM

The SSD is definitely worth if for a laptop. The performance increase is unbelievable. In a desktop if you are running a Velicoraptor then upgrading to an SSD it is pretty good. If you are running a Western Digital Green then it is very good. It is all relative. I finally went to SSD and I must say I wouldn't go back but you can survive with a fast HDD if your finances are limited.
m
l
July 1, 2011 12:56:19 PM

Wamphryi said:
The SSD is definitely worth if for a laptop. The performance increase is unbelievable. In a desktop if you are running a Velicoraptor then upgrading to an SSD it is pretty good. If you are running a Western Digital Green then it is very good. It is all relative. I finally went to SSD and I must say I wouldn't go back but you can survive with a fast HDD if your finances are limited.

Completely relative, it also depends on the SSD you get, for example Crucial M4 vs. OCZ IBIS. As far as SSD's go thats like comparing the WD Green to the Velociraptor. With SSD's you need to look at your sustained speeds, and your IOPS. Also going to depend on if your connecting to 3Gbs or 6Gbs SATA, and if you wanted to go really fancy the IBIS skips SATA all together goes with a special card in the PCI slot. IMO I would go with a reasonable OCZ if your funds are limited, I found an open box 100GB IBIS on Newegg it is by far the fastest thing I have ever seen.
m
l
!