First Gaming PC, budget: 500-650 (added list!)

ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hey,

I'm 16 years old and I'm getting into PC gaming. I'm more interested in games like League of Legends (Not FPS at the moment, I have a xbox for that). I got my first job and I've been wanting to buy a desktop since I play on a horrible laptop. I have around $500 right now and In about 2 weeks I'll have $650.

I'm not worried about building it because my dad used to build computers all the time and so he's gonna take care of that. I've been looking at parts and honestly I really dont know if my combination works but I feel like this is good.

Parts not needed: OS, Monitor (will buy later have a good enough one for now).

List is below, sorry!

ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Based on other threads I was under the impression that AMD processors outperformed the intel ones at this low budget area. Is this true or is the intel i-3 better than the one I had listed.

As for the graphics card I can definitely switch it up to a 6870. Any comments on the motherboard i have?

EDIT: Seems to me having 4 cores would be better than having the 2 that are in the i-3. Also If i plan on recording gameplay with Fraps would I need more RAM or is 4GB sufficient?

NotANerd

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hi. I think your motherboard looks fine for it's price. If you stay with AMD you might want to consider bumping up $20 to the ASrock 880G Pro3, that way you can get 2nd gen. Bulldozer ugrade next year. It has a couple more features like USB 3.0 and Sata 6. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

There will always be division on which CPU is best for Gaming. I think Tom's Hardware summary in it's $500 System Builder Marathon said it well, "The June 2011 $500 Gaming PC is right for some, but not for all, and I’m expecting the comments section to reflect this. If you are purely a gamer, do not overclock, or are just drawn towards a high level of efficiency, then this build is just your ticket. But the real deal-breaker in my eyes is aggressive pricing on AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE processor that has cropped up since our order date. Available for a measly $113, it’s just too attractive to ignore. And the fact that the entry-level Sandy Bridge-based chips are so limited in their flexibility doesn't help."

A lot of people recommend this hard drive, the Samsung Spinpoint f3. They say it's faster even though it is Sata 3. It's what I would choose right now and it's on sale for $54.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=samsung%20spinpoint%20f3

Really, what ever you choose you will be happy. Hope this helped.

From the terms of use

"Advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes and other commercial solicitations are inappropriate on the Forums."

Zero_

Distinguished

uh huh. so linking an appropriate page from your blog to support an answer that will help the asker make a better informed decision is bad?

ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
thanks so much for all the help guys. Quick question would this motherboard support dual graphics cards? And if I did want to upgrade parts individually later on would you recommend first upgrading the Graphics card or the processor? or something else entirely.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
It won't support dual, because it is a micro board. if you would want to sli or crossfire in the future, you will need to get a better motherboard, and the cheapest one I see is over $100.

If you want to upgrade, first upgrade your graphics card (a 6870 will last a while), and then the CPU.