any chance..

Last response: in Video Games
December 3, 2004 12:01:21 AM

Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
January?

I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to get
my hands on one.....

or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the european
release???

thanks in advance

More about : chance

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:01:22 AM

> Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and
> BUY...ie walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between
> now and January?
>
> I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able
> to get my hands on one.....
>
> or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
> european release???
>

> thanks in advance

Around here (greater Seattle area), you have two chances: SLIM and NONE.
Sorry.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:13:08 AM

As recently as Tuesday I was in a ToysRUs and say that they had 6 DS left to
sell...

"the niner nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@ANDTHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
> walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
> January?
>
> I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to
> get
> my hands on one.....
>
> or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
> european
> release???
>

> thanks in advance

Related resources
December 3, 2004 1:57:15 AM

> Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
> walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
> January?
>
> I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to
get
> my hands on one.....
>
> or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
european
> release???
>

> thanks in advance

Like others have said, it really depends on the location. A week after the
DS launch, they were still 'somewhat' plentiful around here but they also
appear to be dried up now. I bought mine from an independent toy store in
my local community that nobody 'outside the community' thinks of for video
games. They had an original shipment of 25 Nintendo DS's and are sold out
now.

Its probably pretty safe to say that you won't be able to walk into any
video game store and purchase a DS. As for large electronic retail stores,
well -- maybe -- but I wouldn't count on it.

If I were in your situation, I would probably look into pre-purchasing from
stores that are in the area that you'll be visiting. I've never pre-ordered
or pre-purchased, so unfortunetly I'm not familiar with the process.
Perhaps someone here can continue with this, and give information on which
stores tend to be most reliable with honoring a pre-purchase for a given
date.

Are you familiar with American retailers? (Not trying to insult your
intelligence, for all I know you may be very familiar.) A few stores worth
contacting (they all have web sites), that may be worth contacting (and
others can add to this) include:

EB Games, Gamestop, Gamecrazy, Walmart, Mejiers, Target, Circuit City, Best
Buy, Toys R Us, KB Toys, Sears...

Good luck!
-Eric
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 4:16:20 AM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:01:21 -0000, "the niner nation"
<dipakREMOVE49ers@ANDTHIShotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
>walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
>January?

It really seems to vary by area. Some areas of the US seem to have
plenty of DSs, while in other areas its simply impossible to get. I
don't know if its a problem with uneven distribution or uneven demand,
but there's definitely some variation... My own area of the country,
NE Ohio, the DSs are GONE. Stores have wait-lists of 300+ names, and
they're only getting in like 20 units per week. I've heard from other
people, though, who said their local stores are well-stocked with
piles of them on the shelves.

All that can really be said is - good luck.
!