any chance..

Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
January?

I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to get
my hands on one.....

or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the european
release???

thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about chance

    > Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and
    > BUY...ie walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between
    > now and January?
    >
    > I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able
    > to get my hands on one.....
    >
    > or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
    > european release???
    >

    > thanks in advance

    Around here (greater Seattle area), you have two chances: SLIM and NONE.
    Sorry.

    As recently as Tuesday I was in a ToysRUs and say that they had 6 DS left to
    sell...

    "the niner nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@ANDTHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
    > walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
    > January?
    >
    > I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to
    > get
    > my hands on one.....
    >
    > or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
    > european
    > release???
    >

    > thanks in advance

    > Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
    > walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
    > January?
    >
    > I am visiting the usa for my vacation soon and would love to be able to
    get
    > my hands on one.....
    >
    > or is there such a crazy demand i wont get one until i wait for the
    european
    > release???
    >

    > thanks in advance

    Like others have said, it really depends on the location. A week after the
    DS launch, they were still 'somewhat' plentiful around here but they also
    appear to be dried up now. I bought mine from an independent toy store in
    my local community that nobody 'outside the community' thinks of for video
    games. They had an original shipment of 25 Nintendo DS's and are sold out
    now.

    Its probably pretty safe to say that you won't be able to walk into any
    video game store and purchase a DS. As for large electronic retail stores,
    well -- maybe -- but I wouldn't count on it.

    If I were in your situation, I would probably look into pre-purchasing from
    stores that are in the area that you'll be visiting. I've never pre-ordered
    or pre-purchased, so unfortunetly I'm not familiar with the process.
    Perhaps someone here can continue with this, and give information on which
    stores tend to be most reliable with honoring a pre-purchase for a given
    date.

    Are you familiar with American retailers? (Not trying to insult your
    intelligence, for all I know you may be very familiar.) A few stores worth
    contacting (they all have web sites), that may be worth contacting (and
    others can add to this) include:

    EB Games, Gamestop, Gamecrazy, Walmart, Mejiers, Target, Circuit City, Best
    Buy, Toys R Us, KB Toys, Sears...

    Good luck!
    -Eric

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:01:21 -0000, "the niner nation"
    <dipakREMOVE49ers@ANDTHIShotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is there any chance of being able to simply walk into a store and BUY...ie
    >walk out of a store with a nintendo DS in the states between now and
    >January?

    It really seems to vary by area. Some areas of the US seem to have
    plenty of DSs, while in other areas its simply impossible to get. I
    don't know if its a problem with uneven distribution or uneven demand,
    but there's definitely some variation... My own area of the country,
    NE Ohio, the DSs are GONE. Stores have wait-lists of 300+ names, and
    they're only getting in like 20 units per week. I've heard from other
    people, though, who said their local stores are well-stocked with
    piles of them on the shelves.

    All that can really be said is - good luck.

Console Gaming Nintendo Video Games