My computer needs my SSD to boot up even though it's empty...

Shizuka

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tom's Hardware and I have a question. I recently finished building my second computer and my dad told me to use Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology with my HDD and SSD. However, since neither of us have ever attempted anything like this before, we kind of stumbled through the whole setup. The computer's been running fine so far, except for a few problems. The motherboard isn't seeing the SSD as a usable drive, and every time I physically remove it from the system, the computer won't boot up properly. It gets as far as displaying the motherboard logo, then says "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key". I've done everything I can think of; I've gone into BIOS, changed through the different modes (AHCI, RAID, IDE), and changed the boot device priority to the HDD, but nothing works. Right now, I'm wasting a 64GB SSD, and my dad thinks I should wipe everything a second time and start over again. I really don't want to do that since I've got most everything set up now... I also can't find anything helpful on the Internet. Does anyone know what to do?

Computer specs
Motherboard - MSI H77MA-G43 Micro-ATX
SSD - Crucial 64GB
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
CPU - Intel Core i5
OS - Windows 7 Professional

If you need to know anything else, let me know. Also, I'm 14 so I'm sorry if I ask you to clarify something for me >_<;;

Thank you very much!! ^_^

Shizuka

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for replying!

I don't want to put the OS on the SSD because I'm going to use it as a cache for my HDD. That's what the Intel Rapid Storage Technology does.
But now the computer won't boot up properly at all... My dad had changed the boot priority to the optical drive, and when I changed it back to the HDD, it didn't work. I think I'll just reinstall the OS like you guys said and re-do the Rapid Storage Technology.

Thanks! ^_^