My graphics card (Nvidia 8800 GT 512mb) isn't working anymore

Dark Dane

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I have had my graphics card for a few years, and I haven't had any problems until now. Today, when I turned my computer on I heard a few beeps, but my computer wouldn't start up. It was still running, but nothing was appearing on my monitor. I looked into it, and found a list of beep codes for various BIOS. I'm not sure what BIOS my computer has, but when I start my computer I hear 1 long beep followed by 2 short ones, and for most BIOS that meant a problem with the graphics card. So, I took the card out and tried starting my computer, and it booted just fine. I then put it back in and tried to start it again, but it didn't work.

So, now I know the problem must be my graphics card, I'm not sure why it stopped working though. I have been using it for a few years without any problems up until today. I have tried a few things to get it working, but nothing has worked. I heard that resetting CMOS could fix it, so I moved the jumper to pins 2 and 3 for a few seconds, then back to 1 and 2 but that didn't fix anything. I want to try to remove the battery, but when I push the tab it doesn't pop out and I can't pull it out so I'm not sure how I can take it out. I have also tried updating my chipset drivers and uninstalling my graphics card drivers, but that didn't do anything either. What should I try to get it working? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on another graphics card.

Also, does the orientation of the jumper for resetting CMOS matter? Everything on my motherboard is hard to get to, and I dropped the jumper a few times while trying to move it, and I'm not sure if it's facing the correct way.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
It sounds like your video card failed. If you have another computer around, or have a friend's that you can use, try using the card there. More than likely it's a brick and you'll just need to replace it.

The good news is that you can get a huge amount of graphics power for very little money. If you're looking for super low price, there are always deals around for older hardware (4850/70, etc) and there are also great deals on this last generation (HD 5XXX cards and GTX 4XX card). Hope that helps.

You can always try it in another PC if you have one available. If not, it is still most likely the card. What manufacture is it? some of those Nvidia cards have lifetime warranties depending on brand. XFX and EVGA are 2 of them. If they do not have an 8800GT to replace it with, they will give you an equivalent card. Check your warranty.