Sign in with
Your question

Radeon and nvidia as physx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2011 5:09:53 AM

Hi gents,

I've got a amd 6990 and have read and seen on the web a little you can use a nvidia card as a physx secondary. I've got a gtx 480 doing nothing so I wanted to see if you guys had any insights or thoughts on how to do it and if it's worth it. I don't want to slow down the amd 6990 to do so.

Thank you for your time.

More about : radeon nvidia physx

a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 5:14:17 AM

it will be worth it if you play and of the few games that support hardware accellerated physx. You will need a very powerful power supply to run both the 480 and 6990 together. a gtx480 is really overkill for a dedicated physx card. it maybe a good idea to sell it and get a less power hungry gts450 for a dedicated physx card.
m
l
April 14, 2011 6:10:58 AM

thats true, i was concerned about that as well. I've got a corsair 1000w but your right I dont think it's quite enough. I'll pick up a as you wrote a 450 or the like. But it's a doable concept?
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 6:21:32 AM

It's doable, but should only be done if you play the few games that can take advantage of it. They aren't many, and if it can't offload the PhysX to the GPU that Nvidia card will be sitting there pumping heat into the case and thats it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 2:38:16 PM

You can only do it with hacked drivers, (which are around, but I have not tried them, I am not sure how well they work) by default the nVidia drivers will disable Physx when an ATI/AMD product is detected in the system.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 4:46:45 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
it will be worth it if you play and of the few games that support hardware accellerated physx. You will need a very powerful power supply to run both the 480 and 6990 together. a gtx480 is really overkill for a dedicated physx card. it maybe a good idea to sell it and get a less power hungry gts450 for a dedicated physx card.

Why recommend a gts 450 when it is even a poor choice for a dedicated card due to it's cost? A cheap G92 8800/9800gt is more than enough for dedicated physx and often comes as a single slot saving room for other cards and more room for air flow.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 4:47:56 PM

jitpublisher said:
You can only do it with hacked drivers, (which are around, but I have not tried them, I am not sure how well they work) by default the nVidia drivers will disable Physx when an ATI/AMD product is detected in the system.

I have tried it to a limited extent and nvidia drivers like to disable cards not just features.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 4:51:32 PM

Using a gtx 480 will work as physx isn't going to fully load that card any way. Idle draw is less than 60w (at the very most) so it is possible to use it without having to get a new psu but it is overkill for this use. I suggest that you keep it for backup purposes as you may never know when you might need it. As the old saying goes it is better have it and not need it than to need and not have. A $50~ G92 8800/9800gt will be more than enough for physx in most games and is easily overclockable. You must get the hack for this to work sadly and isn't for every one.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2011 3:09:27 AM

nforce4max said:
Why recommend a gts 450 when it is even a poor choice for a dedicated card due to it's cost? A cheap G92 8800/9800gt is more than enough for dedicated physx and often comes as a single slot saving room for other cards and more room for air flow.

you would probably have to search through ebay to find a used one, and you could end up with a faulty one. in Australia you havnt been able to get a new 9800 for at least a year and 8800's dissappeared for over 2 yrs. The gts450 uses less power also, the gts250 is another option, there are still a few of them floating around new.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2011 5:38:50 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
you would probably have to search through ebay to find a used one, and you could end up with a faulty one. in Australia you havnt been able to get a new 9800 for at least a year and 8800's dissappeared for over 2 yrs. The gts450 uses less power also, the gts250 is another option, there are still a few of them floating around new.

A stock g92 gt loads out at 84w just like the 5770 but idles at 30w which is what the card will be doing any way except in physx games or cuda apps. The gts 450 is a lot more expensive as for shopping on the second hand market one only has to know what they are doing. As for doa paypall takes care of that ;)  even mail theft! The gts250 is ok but only if had cheap and there is room as well power but load isn't to much of a concern.

physx load cap is 47% so it doesn't take a monster card to run it but a 9600gt to a g92 gt is the sweet spot. A gf106 will do but at it is current price it is not very attractive and other factors are at play. Fermi architecture is weaker on a unit to unit comparison to the older g80/gt200 era architecture. Clocking is another weakness of Fermi based cards, the core to shader clock ratio is fixed at 2x while the older cards were not. Unlinked clocks allow for much higher shader clock without the need to worry about the core. One practice is to down clock the core to allow for slightly more head room for the shader. 2ghz shader on these older cards is not unheard of. Fermi on the other hand does have a few advantages such as lower idle draw as well a few programing advantages.
m
l
!