Sign in with
Your question

System freezes, monitor loses signal, but fans and lights stay on

Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2011 1:42:31 AM

I have a problem that just started yesterday, but makes my computer unusable. After several minutes, regardless of what I am doing (or not doing) the screen goes blank and the monitor says it has no signal. The fans and lights in the case stay on, but the HDD light stays lit and the computer appears to be frozen. The only way I can get it to reboot is if I turn off the PSU power button (holding down the front power button no longer works). This happens in Windows (with or without applications running and even in safe mode) and also in the BIOS menu. It happens every time I turn on the computer, and generally within a couple of minutes or less. I built the computer myself (about 4 months ago, in which time I haven't had so much as a hiccup) and here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 BE 3.2GHz
MB: Asus M4A89GTD Pro 890GX
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
RAM: 4GB ADATA DDR3
HDD: Samsung 500 GB 7200 RPM
PSU: Rosewill 700W
DVD: Samsung Super WriteMaster

I haven't installed any new harware or software recently. The fact that it freezes in the BIOS menu makes me think that it's hardware-related, not software. There is very little dust on the fans or other components, so I don't think that is the issue (besides, it freezes when the CPU is only registering around 44 C). I have tried booting the computer with the HDD, GPU, and DVD disconnected, but it still freezes. I have tried taking out and moving around the RAM and it still freezes. I don't have access to another PSU, but I suppose I could get one and try it if that's a likely problem (in hindsight, I realize Rosewill is not the most reliable brand). I'm hoping it's not the CPU or MB, but I'm running out of likely culprits. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2011 1:49:01 AM

probably not the PSU so chances are its the MoBo or the RAM
m
l
!