PLZ HELP!!! Loud fans, NO VIDEO, Crossfire, what's wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hi, I just tried to crossfire my ATI radeon 5830. I turned off the computer, put in the second card, and connected all the power/Xfire cables.

*** When I press the power button both video card fans appear to go to max, and I get no video. Whats wrong? ***

I noticed when I hit the power button the first time the machine turned on for only a split second(all case/mb LEDs flashed) and then off.

I have a 600w OCZ modular power supply.

MSI P67A-GD65
600w OCZ Modular PSU
Intel I5-2500k CPU - hyper 212+ cooler
2x 4gb Gskill 1600 ram
Kingston v100+ 96gb HDD
Cavalier(?) Blue 600gb HDD
Asus VH236H
1 x 140mm, 2 x 120mm fans

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Run each card individually in the slot they are going to be in, then both without the xfire bridge then add the xfire bridge.

While the overall PSU may be fine, it depends upon the +12V power. Are you using built-in PCIe power lines OR are you using the adapter on normal power lines? You might try looking at the psu documentation to verify if you are using the right lines.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
When I try and run them individually they dont max the fan, but I still have no video. It also appears that the computer wont post, when I power on the machine I continue to press 'del' but it never beeps... This is making no sense to me, I don't see how the cards could have fried, but it's what I'm leaning to at this point.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

This happened to my ATI 5770 (an old card i used to have) when i forgot to plug in the 2x6 pin connectors, the fan would max and no video would come on. Let's try getting one of the video cards working at least to make sure you didn't screw any of them up. First just plug ONE card in, then make sure that TWO 6pin connectors are attached to the card :p (to insure that it's getting the power from the PSU) Tell me your results.

Any single component failure can cause the computer not to display or post, not just the vid card. Id say the PSU is the most likely cause. Easiest steps to try - remove 1 ram module at a time, remove any other addon cards and/or USB devices/fans/hard drives. essentially strip it down to a bare minimum config and see if you can get it to post.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I already tried using just one card, still no video, but the fan runs normally, other than that the system seems to act the same. The power is 100% for certain plugged in, I'm not a novice haha.

I was going to start stripping it down, but the only change I made to the *already working* system was adding a video card, literally I had it working fine right before powering it off and adding the new video card. I just dont see how something else could have went bad, but I guess I have to start somewhere.

Can ANY component really cause it to not post or show video?? I would like to only remove/troubleshoot pieces that can definitely cause my issue, I hate causing myself extra work due to lack of knowledge. I can start stripping it when I get home, it sucks because my hyper 212+ cooler overlaps one of my RAM sticks, looks like I'm going to have to remove it completely.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Here's some weird advice. Unlplug your monitor's power cord from the back of the monitor, and plug it back on, then make sure there is no other cords attached to the monitor like an HDMI or anything, just the dvi or w/e you're using for you computer. When i installed my new video card i thought things weren't posting when my monitor was just being stubborn. I'm not saying that your monitor is the issue, but you'd be surprised.
So in point form:
-Unplug power cord from monitor
-Plug back in
-Make sure only pc vga/dvi is plugged in
-If you have a "source button" then press that to make sure it's set to the dvi source.

Did you plug the monitor in to the top card only?

Try removing the 2nd card and booting. If you get in, try uninstalling ATI drivers. Then shut down and plug the 2nd card in, with the bridge. See if that does anything for you.

Also if you've ever tweaked the BIOS settings, if you can get into it try saving those settings and reverting to default (make sure if you were using ACHI or RAID for HDDs you make that adjustment, as IDE is the default generally).

Also if the screen is blank but the system is powered, have you tried leaving it be for the normal duration? I occasionally have had it blank screen during startup and then suddenly it works at the login screen.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

While I haven't actually unplugged the power to my monitor and put it back in, I have turned it off and on many times, along with making sure it's set to the DVI input. The monitor says "no DVI input detected, entering power save mode", I don't believe the monitor is my problem; like I said, everything was working fine prior to powering off and installing the second card.

Removing the second card isn't helping me;

"I already tried using just one card, still no video, but the fan runs normally, other than that the system seems to act the same..."

So with either one or two cards I'm getting no video. And yes I always plug it in the top most DVI plug on the card of the main PCIe slot, and I've tried both the DVI plugs in each card.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Well I've resat the video cards about 5 times I'd say, and the one stick of ram like I said is stuck under my cpu cooler so I don't see how it could have came loose =P and i've resat the other one.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

There should be a 4pin input on your motherboard, and a 4 pin connector coming out of your PSU, is the 4pin connector plugged into your motherboard?

Try resetting CMOS.
Many times the problem is that simple to fix once you find the correct jumper. Before you start make sure your computer is unplugged and the power supply is switched off. Frequently, the reset CMOS jumper is labeled as, “jp1”, “reset cmos” and “JBAT1”. If you can not tell which jumper it is, consult your motherboard manual. Simply move the shunt (little removable piece) off pins 1-2 and move it to pins 2-3. By placing the shunt on pins 2-3 you are completing a circuit. This circuit erases all the settings you changed in CMOS and sets them back to factory defaults. Leave the pins shorted for about 10 seconds to be safe. Another method of resetting CMOS is removing the motherboard battery and then putting it back a few seconds later. The battery is a little metal circular object, simply pull back the tab and pop it out. Frequently, the reset CMOS jumper is near or next to the battery. Sometimes changing a setting improperly can cause a computer not to boot up, so if that’s the problem this remedy should cure it. Make sure that when you try to turn your computer back on that the jumper is not still set to Clear CMOS.

I copied the above guide from a site, not my words. But the cmos can help reset any weirdness that may be causing your pc not to post.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

There is actually an 8 pin input on my MB(for CPU power, seperate from the 24), and yes it's connected and i've unplugged/plugged it in ~15 times; this doesn't cause the problems I'm experiencing anyway, without that plugged in a machine powers up for ~1sec, and then shuts off.

I actualy have a CMOS reset button on my MB, and I've reset it ~5 times. I've used both buttons that are on the motherboard, and removed the battery, but I've never done the jumpers...my understanding is they all do the same thing though.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Considering everything powers up and runs, but it won't POST, I'm leaning towards motherboard.. what do you guys think?

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

To be honest, at this point, you're going to have to mix and match your parts with another rig (if you have another, if not, perhaps you can borrow one) to see what REALLY works, and what doesn't. You can't just guess it's your motherboard, bad decision. You'll buy a new motheboard and learn that it wasn't the motherboard in the first place, but bad ram haha. So if you don't get things running soon, try borrowing a pc maybe, and test out your parts, like the ram, the video card, and even the PSU.

Gunlex

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I do have another computer that I'm considering doing that with, but it's in full working order and I'd hate to blow another PSU if my motherboard is the cause of my current one dieing, yaknow? =P Not to mention my ram won't function in the other computer, it runs DDR2, and Im not certain my old PSU will power everything in my new computer... 400w from a unbranded PSU is iffy, lol. Considering I have a 3 year warranty on almost all my parts I shouldn't have to be buying anything, and if they want to make me pay shipping, I have been known to enjoy argueing ;)

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Hahaha you're not arguing, dont' worry, you're just explaining what your setup/limitations are, that's fine :) Hmm..... you're in quite the predicament....i'll post back if i have any new ideas haha

Edit: is your cpu fan plugged directly into your motherboard? (sometimes the pc won't boot unless it detects a fan from the motherboard)

Edit 2: I hope your crossfired with ANOTHER 5830, unlike nvidia you can't sli with two different cards.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can't sli any AMD cards and it's Nvidia that requires the same card. ATI does allow you to crossfire with cards that have the same first two numbers (i.e. you can crossfire a 5830 with a 5850 or 5870).

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I meant to write crossfire Radeon cards, and yes you CAN sli with different nvidia cards, but crossfiring with Radeon cards is much stricter, but now i know that you're right about being able to crossfire within the same line of cards (5xxx)

Just curious, what 2 cards DID you use?

First try the other PSU in your system... a motherboard won't fry a PSU. Well, it could technically but not from being burnt out. It would have to be tampered with to short out the PSU, plus, the PSU would also have to have no OCP...

So yeah, try that.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I think his PSU is fine because his system turns on, it just doesn't post.

Status
Not open for further replies.