Phenom II BE 955 or 2500k

trumbo091

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Im building a new pc in preparation for BF3
Im debating on getting the Phenom II BE 955 with an AM3+ motherboard of course and an 6950
or getting an 2500k with a 6870..
eitherway Im going to overclock the processor to 4ghz with aftermarket cooling
Im just not sure which would be better to have, I know the 2500k is superior but I could afford the 6950 with the Phenom..

It depends a bit on your upgrade path. If you plan to crossfire the 6870 soonish then get the 2500K. Otherwise I suggest get the 955 with the cheapest board you can get and scrap it when you upgrade to crossfire and a new CPU & board. As they are I think the better card will be more of an advantage if its a pure gaming machine, but if you get the 2500K and overclock it you can be confident it won't bottleneck 2 6870s.

I'd venture a guess that they would be so really close it would not matter ...

BUT, if your HD6950 was a dual-BIOS reference card, and you unlocked the shaders to an HD6970 that would be the way to go.

If you are in the USA, Newegg has a $15-off promo code on the PhII 965BE through Monday, and if you go with AMD be sure to get an AM3+ 'Black Socket' motherboard.

Retailers would never price-gouge on a new release! :lol:

I'm old and frugal, and I don't believe the price premium will be worth it when a PhII quad or an SB would push a single video card quite well.

TRENDING THREADS