gmh16

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi all,

I am going to buy a new computer here soon and I have a quick question. The choice in processors that I have available to me is i7 2630qm and i5 2410m. I will be using this computer for personal entertainment as well as the program arcGIS 10. The minimum processor requirement for this program is 2.2 GHZ. My question is, would the i7 with a clock speed of 2.0 be able to run this program well with the turbo boost feature or would it be better to get the i5 because of the faster base clock speed at 2.3 GHZ. I would like to get the i7 because for most other applications it will be better than the i5. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The 2630qm will be better than or equel to the 2410m in ALL applications.

GIS programs are capable of using threading, which the 2630qm has.

Also that minimum requirement is probably with a duel or single core processor in mind. The 2630qm has 4 cores + 4 threads (virtual cores that add about 35% better performance per core).
The 2410m has 4 cores.

So to answer your question :

The 2630qm will easily be able to run arcGIS and it will also run it better than the 2410m. Much much better.

PS : I hope you have chosen a laptop with a dedicated Graphics Card.

gmh16

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just reading that the new arcGIS 10 is capable of using multiple threads, which is nice. I am definitely getting a dedicated graphics card (probably NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M) as I need to use some of the 3d imaging features of arcMap.

Are you absolutely positive about your conclusion. I would hate to buy this computer to find out that arcMap runs too slowly.

Thanks again!

100% positive.

GT525m isn't great, but its better than no dedicated GPU.

I'm guising you looking at a Dell Vostro? The new ones?

Edit : You should look at the ATI Graphics version. Much better GPU and it has Hypermemory(allows Win 7 to allocate system memory to the GPU as needed).

gmh16

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I'm actually looking into the inspiron 15r. The way dell has set things up it is hard to customize computers. So it is difficult to add a different dedicated GPU