Urbz DS Locks Up - Warning avoid this game like the plague.

Last response: in Video Games
December 5, 2004 1:11:57 AM

I have played this game all the way through 4 times now to where all 5 main
missions are complete and in mission 'S' I only have to 'Distract Winky
Weebucks' and the game locks up hard making it impossible to complete the
game what so ever.

I have tried on 2 different DS's and with 2 different Urbz cartridges - the
problem is NOT the cartridge or the DS - it is the coding of the game itself
which EA messed up. I have spoken to Nintendo and EA and EA refuses to
answer any questions or offer any resolution.

Nintendo has asked me to ship them my game cartridge which I have not done
so far...and I doubt they can put any pressure on EA to resolve this issue
or make good on a faulty game.

This is completely unacceptable to sell a game that locks up hard and is not
playable to completion.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:39:23 PM

Raph wrote:
> I have played this game all the way through 4 times now to where all
> 5 main missions are complete and in mission 'S' I only have to
> 'Distract Winky Weebucks' and the game locks up hard making it
> impossible to complete the game what so ever.
>
> I have tried on 2 different DS's and with 2 different Urbz cartridges
> - the problem is NOT the cartridge or the DS - it is the coding of
> the game itself which EA messed up. I have spoken to Nintendo and EA
> and EA refuses to answer any questions or offer any resolution.
>
> Nintendo has asked me to ship them my game cartridge which I have not
> done so far...and I doubt they can put any pressure on EA to resolve
> this issue or make good on a faulty game.
>
> This is completely unacceptable to sell a game that locks up hard and
> is not playable to completion.

I was having a look at the official Urbz BBS last night (somewhere on
urbzsims.ea.com - you need to register to access the BBS though), and there's no
shortage of complaints about the DS version. EA seem to be ignoring any
complaints, though they haven't even attempted to censor their own BBS yet (and
there are a lot of pissed-off people in there!)

If Nintendo want you to send them the cartridge, I would send it by recorded
delivery (or whatever the US equivelent is - either way, the recipient needs to
sign for it) and have them deal with it. They can put a lot of pressure on EA
because Nintendo holds the licence for any game that appears on its hardware,
and no EA game is an exception to this. When you do send the game however,
include a letter detailing exactly what the glitch is, and how it can be
reproduced.

Paul.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 12:36:44 AM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:11:57 GMT, "Raph" <raph@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nintendo has asked me to ship them my game cartridge which I have not done
>so far...
I'm not really sure why they would want the cartridge. I can
understand if they can force EA to pay for a new printing with a fix
down the road, you'd have to send the old copy in to get the fixed
version, but I don't understand why they would want it now...

>and I doubt they can put any pressure on EA to resolve this issue
>or make good on a faulty game.
It would depend on how successful the DS is. If it continues to sell
as well as it has been so far, Nintendo will have quite a bit of
power, because they'll be able to deny EA the right to develop for the
system unless they put things right. As I said, though, how effective
that is depends on how well the DS does... With the PSP coming,
Nintendo may feel hesitant to lean on a big developer like EA.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:46:19 PM

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:11:57 GMT, "Raph" <raph@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Nintendo has asked me to ship them my game cartridge which I have not done
>>so far...
> I'm not really sure why they would want the cartridge. I can
> understand if they can force EA to pay for a new printing with a fix
> down the road, you'd have to send the old copy in to get the fixed
> version, but I don't understand why they would want it now...
>
>>and I doubt they can put any pressure on EA to resolve this issue
>>or make good on a faulty game.
> It would depend on how successful the DS is. If it continues to sell
> as well as it has been so far, Nintendo will have quite a bit of
> power, because they'll be able to deny EA the right to develop for the
> system unless they put things right. As I said, though, how effective
> that is depends on how well the DS does... With the PSP coming,
> Nintendo may feel hesitant to lean on a big developer like EA.

My guess is they won't put any pressure on them and since I tried two
cartridges and two DS's maybe they just want to actually see the issue and
determine that it's not a hardware issue as far as wanting to see the
cartridge - they actually asked me to ship my DS and the game but I said I
didn't want to let the DS out of my sight that long.

Since I discussed with my game store and they offered to refund my money and
let me get a different game ..I may do that but first I'm going to use the
direct number to EA that Nintendo gave me and see if they can give me any
answers or solutions - if they can even tell me how to avoid the glitch so I
can finish the game I would be OK with that...it just kills me to be right
at the very end of a game and not be able to finish due to a glitch. The
fact that I played through multiple times and keep hitting the same glitch
while other folks can finish the game is killing me...maybe it's something
I'm doing or carrying different but each time I played through with a
different character and so forth.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:08:03 PM

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:11:57 GMT, "Raph" <raph@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Nintendo has asked me to ship them my game cartridge which I have not
>>>done
>>>so far...
>> I'm not really sure why they would want the cartridge. I can
>> understand if they can force EA to pay for a new printing with a fix
>> down the road, you'd have to send the old copy in to get the fixed
>> version, but I don't understand why they would want it now...
>>
>>>and I doubt they can put any pressure on EA to resolve this issue
>>>or make good on a faulty game.
>> It would depend on how successful the DS is. If it continues to sell
>> as well as it has been so far, Nintendo will have quite a bit of
>> power, because they'll be able to deny EA the right to develop for the
>> system unless they put things right. As I said, though, how effective
>> that is depends on how well the DS does... With the PSP coming,
>> Nintendo may feel hesitant to lean on a big developer like EA.
>
> My guess is they won't put any pressure on them and since I tried two
> cartridges and two DS's maybe they just want to actually see the issue and
> determine that it's not a hardware issue as far as wanting to see the
> cartridge - they actually asked me to ship my DS and the game but I said I
> didn't want to let the DS out of my sight that long.
>
> Since I discussed with my game store and they offered to refund my money
> and let me get a different game ..I may do that but first I'm going to use
> the direct number to EA that Nintendo gave me and see if they can give me
> any answers or solutions - if they can even tell me how to avoid the
> glitch so I can finish the game I would be OK with that...it just kills me
> to be right at the very end of a game and not be able to finish due to a
> glitch. The fact that I played through multiple times and keep hitting the
> same glitch while other folks can finish the game is killing me...maybe
> it's something I'm doing or carrying different but each time I played
> through with a different character and so forth.

Well, I talked to EA today and their support said - yep, sure looks like a
glitch and all we can do is exchange the cartridge which you can sell
sealed...so no help from them.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:08:04 PM

> "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm not really sure why they would want the cartridge. I can
>>> understand if they can force EA to pay for a new printing with a fix
>>> down the road, you'd have to send the old copy in to get the fixed
>>> version, but I don't understand why they would want it now...

>>> It would depend on how successful the DS is. If it continues to
>>> sell as well as it has been so far, Nintendo will have quite a bit
>>> of power, because they'll be able to deny EA the right to develop
>>> for the system unless they put things right. As I said, though, how
>>> effective that is depends on how well the DS does... With the PSP
>>> coming, Nintendo may feel hesitant to lean on a big developer like
>>> EA.
>>
>> My guess is they won't put any pressure on them and since I tried two
>> cartridges and two DS's maybe they just want to actually see the
>> issue and determine that it's not a hardware issue as far as wanting
>> to see the cartridge - they actually asked me to ship my DS and the
>> game but I said I didn't want to let the DS out of my sight that
>> long.
>>
>> Since I discussed with my game store and they offered to refund my
>> money and let me get a different game ..I may do that but first I'm
>> going to use the direct number to EA that Nintendo gave me and see if
>> they can give me any answers or solutions - if they can even tell me
>> how to avoid the glitch so I can finish the game I would be OK with
>> that...it just kills me to be right at the very end of a game and not
>> be able to finish due to a glitch. The fact that I played through
>> multiple times and keep hitting the same glitch while other folks can
>> finish the game is killing me...maybe it's something I'm doing or
>> carrying different but each time I played through with a different
>> character and so forth.
>
> Well, I talked to EA today and their support said - yep, sure looks
> like a glitch and all we can do is exchange the cartridge which you
> can sell sealed...so no help from them.

So, they will not exchange it for a 'corrected' version when they have
one ready?
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:28:09 AM

"TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

>> "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> My guess is they won't put any pressure on them and since I tried two
>>> cartridges and two DS's maybe they just want to actually see the
>>> issue and determine that it's not a hardware issue as far as wanting
>>> to see the cartridge - they actually asked me to ship my DS and the
>>> game but I said I didn't want to let the DS out of my sight that
>>> long.
>>>
>>> Since I discussed with my game store and they offered to refund my
>>> money and let me get a different game ..I may do that but first I'm
>>> going to use the direct number to EA that Nintendo gave me and see if
>>> they can give me any answers or solutions - if they can even tell me
>>> how to avoid the glitch so I can finish the game I would be OK with
>>> that...it just kills me to be right at the very end of a game and not
>>> be able to finish due to a glitch. The fact that I played through
>>> multiple times and keep hitting the same glitch while other folks can
>>> finish the game is killing me...maybe it's something I'm doing or
>>> carrying different but each time I played through with a different
>>> character and so forth.
>>
>> Well, I talked to EA today and their support said - yep, sure looks
>> like a glitch and all we can do is exchange the cartridge which you
>> can sell sealed...so no help from them.
>>

> So, they will not exchange it for a 'corrected' version when they have
> one ready?

They don't have a corrected one...
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:08:55 PM

"TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

>> "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> My guess is they won't put any pressure on them and since I tried two
>>> cartridges and two DS's maybe they just want to actually see the
>>> issue and determine that it's not a hardware issue as far as wanting
>>> to see the cartridge - they actually asked me to ship my DS and the
>>> game but I said I didn't want to let the DS out of my sight that
>>> long.
>>>
>>> Since I discussed with my game store and they offered to refund my
>>> money and let me get a different game ..I may do that but first I'm
>>> going to use the direct number to EA that Nintendo gave me and see if
>>> they can give me any answers or solutions - if they can even tell me
>>> how to avoid the glitch so I can finish the game I would be OK with
>>> that...it just kills me to be right at the very end of a game and not
>>> be able to finish due to a glitch. The fact that I played through
>>> multiple times and keep hitting the same glitch while other folks can
>>> finish the game is killing me...maybe it's something I'm doing or
>>> carrying different but each time I played through with a different
>>> character and so forth.
>>
>> Well, I talked to EA today and their support said - yep, sure looks
>> like a glitch and all we can do is exchange the cartridge which you
>> can sell sealed...so no help from them.
>>

> So, they will not exchange it for a 'corrected' version when they have
> one ready?

Well, they apparently do not have one now and did not offer that possibility
or give me any indication that they will even try to resolve the issue.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:15:37 PM

> Well, they apparently do not have one now and did not offer that
possibility
> or give me any indication that they will even try to resolve the
issue.

I can not get my pet through the fence maze. I walk it along the side
of the left tent but just at the end each time it gets drawn into the
fence and passes out. My pet is a unicorn. Has anyone gotten through
this with a unicorn?
May 22, 2008 7:01:37 PM

you just have to go in straight lines, but dont run into the bases of the things. you could pass out. and i heard that if u walk around the carnival, then it stops the glitch.... i hope it works.
May 22, 2008 7:07:48 PM

moronman66 said:
you just have to go in straight lines, but dont run into the bases of the things. you could pass out. and i heard that if u walk around the carnival, then it stops the glitch.... i hope it works.

Off by a few years there buddy :)
May 23, 2008 12:59:03 AM

oh snap!
!