First pics with new EF 100-400 IS USMl lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:43:10 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
<rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

snipped
>My personal Favorite
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/40532002

I find the fact the feather is not in focus ruins it. Once can see
the point of focus is in front of it. It might work if one couldn't
see the sharp focus in the wood grain.

"Hey, kemosabe! Long time no see.
Hey sport. You connect the dots.
You pick up the pieces."

"Sharkey's Night"
by
Laurie Anderson
_Home of the Brave_

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:43:10 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
> <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> snipped
>>My personal Favorite
>>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/40532002
>>

> I find the fact the feather is not in focus ruins it. Once can see
> the point of focus is in front of it. It might work if one couldn't
> see the sharp focus in the wood grain.

I could be wrong but I think you mistaking the fluffier lower part of the
feather as being out if focus. The upper part of the feather looks in focus
to me.

--

Rob

Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Took these over the weekend. First time I've had a lens this long. I
> really love the range. I only wish I had remembered to reset the ISO.
> Rookie mistake I guess.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_water

Do you like the trombone zoom, not, or do you feel neutral about it?

> Comments encouraged.

Most of these pictures can be digitally enhanced with the Levels dialog.
Autolevels is usually too much but you can tighten up the histogram
to improve color saturation.

"Bill Tuthill" <can@spam.co> wrote in message news:422f4461@news.meer.net...
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Took these over the weekend. First time I've had a lens this long. I
>> really love the range. I only wish I had remembered to reset the ISO.
>> Rookie mistake I guess.
>> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_water
>
> Do you like the trombone zoom, not, or do you feel neutral about it?

I don't mind it at all, however, the only other zoom I have to compare it to
is a 70-300. With the extension of the 100-400 I'm not sure you'd be able
to do it any other way. There is a ring to increase/decrease the resistance
of the slide (it also locks the slide). I think the push/pull lends itself
to the physical length of the lens and speedy zooming.

>> Comments encouraged.
>
> Most of these pictures can be digitally enhanced with the Levels dialog.
> Autolevels is usually too much but you can tighten up the histogram
> to improve color saturation.

I'm sure they can be worked over a bit. All I did with them was process
them through Capture One. I did some exposure adjustment and sharpening. I
have to learn more about Photoshop to do much more. I guess its time to go
buy a couple of good books.

--

Rob