Upgrading a TouchSmart

mtb286

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I bought a HP TouchSmart IQ506 2 1/2 years ago. I'd like to increase performance, specifically booting, loading programs, etc and upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 or 8 (when it comes out).

I realize it's probably the worst machine to upgrade, but has anyone upgraded a TouchSmart? Is there any space for adding a SSD? What upgrades are possible?

Solution
Your computer's PDF here:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01490909.pdf

You can see a boost in the areas you were seeking (start up, load up) by adding more RAM, but with 4Gb already installed, you're working on the law of diminished returns. The computer does not have a second HDD slot, so you can replace the current one, but not ADD one. Your computer uses laptop grade parts, so look at the DDR2 Sodimm sticks and the 2.5" SATA drives. SSDs are 2.5" anyways, so that's a bonus.

Lastly, and this is more of a side note, but your computer would show a performance improvement if you upgraded to Win7, but MS said Windows 8 was coming out fourth quarter of 2012. Win7 is great and you could stick with it through an entire upgrade cycle...

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Your computer's PDF here:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01490909.pdf

You can see a boost in the areas you were seeking (start up, load up) by adding more RAM, but with 4Gb already installed, you're working on the law of diminished returns. The computer does not have a second HDD slot, so you can replace the current one, but not ADD one. Your computer uses laptop grade parts, so look at the DDR2 Sodimm sticks and the 2.5" SATA drives. SSDs are 2.5" anyways, so that's a bonus.

Lastly, and this is more of a side note, but your computer would show a performance improvement if you upgraded to Win7, but MS said Windows 8 was coming out fourth quarter of 2012. Win7 is great and you could stick with it through an entire upgrade cycle or you could ride out Vista until late next year.

Solution

mtb286

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks, that's great info. That's what I figure about the hardware but I'll at least upgrade to Windows 7. I like 7 more than Vista anyway, I've been kind of lazy with the upgrade, but now it's time.

I went to crucial.com and it said the most RAM my computer will take is 4gb. The RAM usually hovers between 50 and 60% so I think I'm ok in that regard. An SSD would be a nice performance boost, but I need a lot of space I'll have to wait on that.