Custom Built PC - Cannot install an operating System

Conway6288

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Built a PC with components from eBay (For a bet) and I cannot get an operating system to install. I have tried various OS' including the following: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, XUbuntu, Chrome OS and Jolicloud.

With the linux distros I get kernel panic or an initramfs error. Windows 7 & Vista the installer cannot find my hard drives. I have tried in RAID and not in RAID, 4 different hard drives have been tried but none have been discovered. Maybe I could try changing the Sata ports? That shouldn't be the problem as the bios can discover them just fine. With the windows installers I have tried putting the driver disc that was supplied with the mobo into the disc drive and nothing comes up. I even put the files onto a usb and still couldn't find them.

Starting to lose hope with this PC now but I really would like to get it working. The specs are:

Sapphire PI-A9RX480
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2x1GB DDR
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
2x40GB HDD's (Hopefully in RAID0 as boot device)
600w PSU

Any help will be accepted with open arms! Your my last hope guys. Please don't fail me!

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Have you tried running a live version of linux? You could also put memtest on a floppy or thumb drive and try that to check your memory.

Conway6288

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I have tried all of the suggested things here. I get the same results when booting from a live CD. I have tried both sticks of ram seperately and together. The CD drive has came from my working computer so I don't think thats faulty, various different SATA cables have been used. I am thinking of trying just an IDE drive?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
It's a fairly old motherboard and may not recognize the sata drive when installing even though it has sata ports. I have one (AMD Athlon XP 3200 and I think a gigabyte board) that supported SATA but will not install unless I load a seperate sata driver during the beginning of the install (F6 to load additional drivers). I had win xp, service pack one.

Conway6288

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I have made some progress guys thanks to some of your suggestions. I have added an IDE drive into the system as the master. I didn't know whether it was working or not but it is. It is only 10gb so Windows 7 can't be installed. Although this time at least it picked up a drive. So I turned to the tried and true Windows XP. Currently copying the files after formatting the drive. Fingers crossed that it will work ! :D :D

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

for unlocking an OEM drive normal formatting won't work, this will:
http://software.lsoft.net/boot-cd-iso.zip

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

yep, was talking about the sata one. ive bought quite a few HDDs off eBay and half of them were OEM locked.