Video Editing Hardware

dcdevito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hello,

I have a question for you experts. I am looking to migrate away from my 4 yr old iMac and build a string performing video editing\processing workstation. I am looking to build a 2 CPU, 16GB system - suggestions on CPU, amount of RAM, and video card options would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
My thoughts: (and they are much like henydiah's)

- One SSD for an OS (30-60g)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

- Take advantage of more powerful GPU's such as the GTX 570/580 that suppport cuda.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564 (luv Twin Frozr II!!!!)

- I would suggest a Sandy Bridge Core I7-2600, 8-16 gigs of RAM running a 64bit OS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

- A few Spinpoint drives in a RAID config to kill the bottleneck caused by writing files.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Please list the software you use, the input format(s) of your media, any prospective filters, transitions and motion graphics that interest you, and your output format(s).

Maybe because it is highly limited to specific tasks, softwares and hardware, functions best in down-sampling with quality reduction, and with the introduction of non-CUDA effects and filters sometimes borks any acceleration?

And then there is the simple fact that after years of CUDA over-promising and under-delivering, the industry is moving more toward OpenCL and/or DirectCompute support?

LOL Your username is very well chosen.

Thank you, wisecracker, for asking the intelligent questions the OP should answer in order to get the best advice, instead of suggestions that basically amount to throwing money at the problem.
For all we know, an integrated GPU would be sufficient. OTOH, perhaps a high-end workstation graphics card (not a gaming card) would be best. Answers to the questions will let us know. Thanks.

I'm sure I forgot more than a few questions that should be asked :lol:

Including the HD Cam he might be using, the output formats available from the unit, and whether he has considered real-time direct capture.

And, of course, what type of budget he wants to work under ...

dcdevito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Wow - thanks guys! I will do some homework based on all your suggestions. As for software I plan on using - that's a great question - I have no idea yet. I'm doing research and Cyberlink and Sony Vegas are my top two choices so far.

Thanks again for all your input - you guys are great. Much appreciated.

dcdevito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Oh - sorry guys. Forgot to mention I'm using a Canon HF M300 - works okay (I'll probably be keeping it for another year or so). Output format is H.264 but I think it is capable of AVCHD.

As far as budget - I would say in the $1500-$2k range at most. Another reason I don't want another Mac is that for what I want I don't want to spend $3k on a Mac Pro

dcdevito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I haven't considered real time capture, but my issue isn't capturing the video off the camera it's finalizing my movies when I'm done editing - my iMac stands no chance with HD video

Alrighty ... here we go!

First off, I'm not fully up to speed on Cyberlink, so most of this is coming from the Vegas side of things. Your budget is more than adequate, but you've got a little homework to do to really get up to speed.

You MUST 'render smart' - as a matter of fact, Vegas has Smart Render :lol: It's really simple. As long as you maintain your video/audio format, resolution and bit rate from capture to output, your frames will pass-through smokin' fast. The only 'true render' which will take place is on frames upon which you apply effects, transitions, compositing, titles, motion graphics, etc. Throw away the iMac, Daddy's home!

Your HDCam will do MPEG4-AVC/H.264 1920x108060i Dolby Digital AC-3 (I'm assuming 48,000Hz 16-bit) Stereo at 17Mbps bit rate. This is your 'standard' and it shall be maintained throughout the process - to your project properties and to output. From your HDCam to your software project file ...

Vegas_Proj-prop_0.jpg

to your project output ...

Vegas_Oput-render_0.jpg

Got that? [:jaydeejohn:5]

Now, we have a problem that might not actually be a problem so you may want to download and test drive Vegas and see how it goes. Your HDCam output is a 17Mbps bit rate, and with the Sony AVCHD encoder, even under the 'custom' tab, Sony would not let me do that. 16Mbps was the closet option I had.

The reason I don't know if this will be an issue with your 'Smart Render' is that they gave me no clue as to whether this was a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) or a Variable Bit Rate (VBR). If it's VBR I don't believe it will be a problem - CBR may (or may not) be a problem.

If this is an issue with your render output I have 2 solutions, each will cost you $$$ but should easily be within your budget. The first involves selling your current Cam (it just went EOL) and buying one that outputs 16Mbps. It's well worth it because the cost/investment in a 'smart rendering-capable' HDCAM significantly reduces your computer hardware demands, anyway.

The second option: My Vegas has a MainConcept AVCHD encoder output option, but it is a 'teaser.' It will let you manually select the bit rate, but it limits the output resolution. Basstudds! I bet they will sell you a really nice plug-in that will work just dandy, though - LOL - and being the cynic that I am, I'll betcha what they are doing ...

MainConcept is really good stuff (like Sorenson in 'Final Cut Pro' for Macs) and I suspect they provided a 'limited' license for their stuff under the 'Sony AVCHD encoder' label, to work along with the MainConcept limited encoder option. You get the hor'dourves, but yah gotta pay for the 'Main' course ...

:ouch: