A potential accident building my first computer

slavabez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hello,
Just yesterday I bought all the components needed to build a computer, and spent the whole day assembling it. When I finally launched it first, it switched on for a second and then turned off. There was also some smell coming from it, smelled like burning oil (only slightly, and there was no smoke).
I found out later that I hadn't plugged in the power led from the PSU to the mobo properly; in the long plug (called EATXPWR), four of the connectors weren't fully plugged in. Also, after smelling the mobo around, I found that the smell was most probably coming from the small resistors near the EATXPWR port. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in properly, but I get no image when I power it on. The cpu fan (plugged into CPU_FAN) doesnt work for some reason, although it does if I plug it into CHA_FAN1 or 2. I asked my friend to check it today (he is good with hardware stuff), and he didnt see anything wrong with the way everything was plugged in. Pretty much everything works, the hdd makes noises, the dvd drive works, the Graphics card's fan is spinning, all the LEDs light up on the mobo, fans work (apart from the CPU_FAN) but I get no image on the monitor whatsoever. I am also not sure whether the CPU works, but it seems fine.
Components I use:
mobo - asus p8h67
cpu - intel i5 2500 3.3GHz
gpu - radeon hd 6870 1GB
ram - 2xCorsair 4GB
620W Power supply unit
all of the components are brand new, bought them yesterday.
Perhaps the resistors burned down?

Yeah sounds to me like those CPU_FAN pins arent working, see if you can get your motherboard replaced. If you can't then i'd just use the CHA_FAN bit, your drawback would be that when you want to change CPU fan speed you would have to go to case fan or something. Chances are you will have less control over the speed too, depending on your case.

slavabez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks for your reply!
DO you think the cpu fried itself because of the fan not working?
Also, any ideas why it smelled?
By the way sorry, English is not my first language, so sorry for the mistakes, if there are any

I think the CPU or the paste burning was probably the smell but i think the CPU should have survived. There are usually features built in to protect it, such as the fact that the computer turns itself off. It will have overheated because the fan wasn't working. Just make sure that everything is plugged in properly (including the big 20+4 pin)

slavabez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Ok, just finished pulling everything out and plugging back in carefully. Nothing changed, unfortunately. I suspect it's the cpu's or the mobo's fault, I just can't figure out which one (or both) it is. Is there a way to find out without exchanging the components, as I don't currently have any access to any other CPUs or MoBos. I don't have a speaker, unfortunately, so I can't hear any beeping noises the mobo makes.

If the fan isn't working it's not the CPU's fault. It's probably the motherboard. Also, if the motherboard is going to be doing any beeping it's not going to be through your speakers, the motherboard itself will do it.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

I think he might've been referring to the mobo sys beeper speaker.

slavabez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Ok, turned out it's my motherboards that's faulty, everything else seems to be working fine on a different mobo. Going shopping for a new one tomorrow

slavabez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
yep, got a new motherboard, all works fine, amazing graphics :)
I bought it in a different country, so taking it there would have turned out to be more expensive than buying a motherboard here, locally.
Thanks for your advice!