Can a phenom ii x4 run with just the stock heatsink?

I noticed one of my top case fans wasn't spinning so i took a closer look and the black power cable that powers the fan on the phenom ii x4's stock heatsink was stuck in my fan's motor. I tried gently removing it but it wasn't working so I just decided to force it out, and it came out, in two pieces. Now the fan on the heatsink isn't spinning and I need to know if I just underclock my cpu, will the heatsink provide enough heat removal to use without a fan until I can get a new cooler?
11 answers Last reply
More about phenom stock heatsink
  1. While it may be possible if your case has very good airflow and you don't stress it at all, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing so since you risk damaging the processor. If I remember right that processor is around the 125 W range, so it puts out quite a bit of heat.

If anything I would try repairing the fan wiring and see if you can get it working again.
  2. I underclocked it to 3.2 and when I try to go into the os it says it needs to check for a hard disk error.. could this be related to the cpu fan not working or is there now also a problem with my hard drive? That'd make my day :)
  3. Well I just turned my pc on, lowered the cpu clock to 3.2, booted windows 7 and opened coretemp and it was at 78 degrees celcius. Idle. So.. no the stock heatsink does NOT work alone.
  4. You absolutely need the CPU fan working !
  5. Agree with bentheere need new cooler like hyper 212+, also you try ran at stock speed with down voltage from bios . It will give more cool. change smallest +0.05v (find in cpu voltage set manually)
  6. With just the heatsink you will have to seriously down-clock and undervolt it, like 2.0ghz. Don't run it like that. You know you can get a 212+ or even the small TX3 from your local CompUSA pretty darn cheap.
  7. just get a new fan, dont run it without the fan.
  8. If he's gonna spend money I say get a TX3 because it's so cheap ^_^. Yeah you could just get the fan though o_O. Of course, if the fan got stuck because the heatsink was warped or somehow defective this would happen again :D
  9. the fan got stuck because he had a cable lodged in it...... but yes a tx3 is a cheap solution that offers better cooling than the stock heatsink, which is a good idea if overclocking, which he is.
  10. Yeah I plan on overclocking. I'm getting an nh-d14 or an xspc rasa 240 soon anyway so I'll have a good cooler for any future cpus anyway.
  11. I ended up going a little cheaper than I planned and got a V6gt but it looks great and the cooling is enough to max out my x4 so I'm happy :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan Phenom Components