Line-In to play through USB Headset?

Ok so I'm trying to get the Sound coming in from a Line-In device (in this case my Xbox 360) to play through my USB Headset. I've got it hooked up via the Xbox 360 HD/AV VGA cables and I'm using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to run the sound into my Line-In port on my Creative SB Live! sound card. Currently I can hear sound via the Speaker Output port (cuz I unmuted Line-In) of if I use a 3.5 Female to Female connecter and bypass my PC altogether but both methods require an Analog Headset.

The problem is my USB headset has a much much much better sound quality and I'd like to play it back through that. I found a solution on these boards for this but it didn't work 100% for me and it is as follows:

Quote:
You need 3 to download and install 3 files in this order
- Winamp: www.winamp.com
- Line-in plugin for Winamp: http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.grond [...] index.html
- Low latency plugin for Winamp: http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.grond [...] index.html

When all files installed, goto Winamp>Options>Preferences. Select output tab and select "Low Latency waveOut plugin". Click configure and select your USB headset. Close the preferences.

In Winamp playlist, click add>add url (or CTRL-L) Use one of these url's. I always use the 'good quality' url. For more info, read the FAQ.

High quality - line://srate=48000,numbuffers=5000,bufsize=s576,title=High Quality (VIS),hideformat
Good quality - line://title=Stereo (no VIS),hideformat,bufsize=8192,numbuffers=50
Normal quality - line://nch=1,title=FM Radio,hideformat
Bad quality - line://nch=1,bps=8,srate=32000,title=AM

Play the file, and tadaa, your soundcard input is streaming to your USB headset.

What happens is WinAmp will crash the first time I try to play the url and after that it will run but I will just hear static. If anyone knows a fix for this OR another method to get Line-In to play through my USB headset I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about line play headset
  1. All you should have to do is unmute the line in, and make sure the USB headset is the default output device within windows [do this from the Windows Control Panel]. No reason why any audio should be going to the soundcards output port if its not set as the default output device...
  2. I did that already but the problem is the USB Device itself does not playback Line-In at all. It isn't even an option. It IS an option on my Sound Card, hence why I can plug in a set of speakers or an Analog Headset but from what I can tell (and I've check several PCs and different USB headsets) no USB headsets have the checkbox to play back Line-In but it could be just a Windows XP thing because those are the PCs I've test it on and am currently using.

EDIT:
    TO be more specific, here are some Screenshots:

USB Headset Options:

Sound Card Options:

If noone has any idea how to get the WinAmp problem resolved I'd also befine with a method that puts the Line-In into a channel that my Headset can hear or anything else that might work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Gaming Headsets USB Components