Computer lock-ups in-game

A little after installing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 Pro x64, my graphics card had seemed to fail.

My computer randomly crashed for the first time in-game, so I rebooted to find that my screen was now covered in large oddly-colored pixels. Reseating the card and DVI cable fixed the pixel error, but I was still getting crashes in-game.

I installed new gfx drivers (thinking SP1 and my current drivers had issues with each other) via uninstall, driver clean, and new install, but crashes still occurred.

Then, I performed memtest to find 0 errors and finally swapped out the card for my 2nd (which I only had because I had multiple HDDs and the 2nd, which used to be used for SLI, could no longer fit with them together in the mid-tower). Swapping out the cards did relieve me of the crashes that would occur within minutes of starting the game, but I still crash when I've left the computer on for 3-4 days and then start a game.

I clean out the computer once a month and the fans all work, so I don't think it's overheating. I have a 1kW PSU and I bought it anticipating both gfx cards and a 5-year degradation (the power supply calculators online said ~950 Watts with 50% Aging), so I doubt it's a failing PSU.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what other things to try in order to eliminate these errors?

Also, right now I am assuming my 1st gfx card to be "dead," but if it could be something else, please tell me. Dropping $450 is a significant amount.

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 (Stock: 2.93 GHz OC'd to 3.5 GHz)
Mobo: nforce 680i LT SLI
RAM: 8 GB (4x2 GB) DDR2 800 MHz
GPU: Geforce 8800 Ultras (Only use one, but used to be 2 in SLI)
SPU: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
HDD: 3x500 GB, 1x1 TB (all 7200 rpm SATA)
PSU: 1kW Ultra X3

Computer Age: ~4 Years (Heavy usage)
2 answers Last reply
More about computer lock game
  1. Well, what game(s) cause the crashes?
    And if you're playing the most recent games, your 8800 isn't gonna be enough.

Consider upgrading your graphics card.
  2. sc2, css, and vindictus, but I play these on medium, so it shouldn't be a problem... the 8800 Ultra is fine specification wise... If I can play sc2 on low with a low-med-end laptop GPU, I can definitely play them with a 4-year old high-end desktop card...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Games Computer Systems