johnpullo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi Folks -

I received a Dell Inspiron 2600 as a hand-me-down...wondering what builds/rebuilds i can do to it on a component level (cpu, ram chips, sound/vid card, etc) to get this thing a little more proper to today's standards. Looking specifically to use this machine (if possible) to run CS3/CS4, Adobe Audition, etc - bigger progams that obv use a lot more juice. Any suggestions on where to start or what limitations I might have?

Any/all gladly accepted!
Thanks in advance -
John

popatim

Titan
Just sell it an put the money towards something a bit newer.
From what I could find it has a 1ghz celeron processor of the pentium 3 era, 20Gb harddrive, and 128mb (pc133) of ram with 512mb being max.
This is not something you want to invest any money into.

Even the cheapest sub $300 laptop at staples will run circles around this.

Would seem supersonic around it.

johnpullo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I figured as much - as i keep bumping the wireless card (!!) as I flip it over and back to find the info....
Just was wondering if there's a way to gut this thing and replace with newer parts, thereby bypassing the limitations of upgrading the in-place pieces and getting into new capabilities. I'm certainly not an expert on laptops, but i had hoped to approach it like i would a car - you can drop in a bigger engine, upgrade the brakes, do some new wiring and add options/features it didn't come with originally...looks the same on the outside, but performance is better than it was when new - so there's a limit on just how much you can do before you build a totally new vehicle.

Guess it's not just that easy huh? hmmm......

Anyone need a dell laptop? haha