RADEON HD5450?? i need your knowledge

88fingers0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I believe I am being slipped a piece of junk but I do not know much about graphics cards...other then I always thought the bigger the card the more watts it sucks and the size of the fan were indicators to its performance. I have in my hand a wimpy little Radeon HD5450X16 pci express 1 GB card....no fan...and computer needs only to have a 350 watt power supply??? I google or new egg this model and I cannot seem to find anything close to looking what I hold in my hand....Heck this thing does not even have aux power connectors and cannot be over 4 inches long? I was sold this thing from some dell tech...probably sitting in Pakistan ....knowing less then i do about graphic cards!! ha ha... Originally I was thinking I was buying a Radeon HD 5570 and instead received this...looks more suited for laptops??? This was purchased to replace a NvidiaQuadro FX 3500 in a dell ws490 quad core xeon processor running xpp 32 bit......so unless something has happened that I am unaware of I fail to see this card a betterment over what i already have....anybody got any advise for me??

Solution
if you want to play games with it, dont buy a professional card, get a 'Nvidia GeForce GTX500' or 'AMD Radeon HD6000' -series card instead...

Kari

Splendid
umm the 5450 is the slowest entry-level card in the HD5000 consumer series, it is meant for stuff like light home office/web surfing/movies...

Quadro series is nvidias professional cards for like CAD and other 'heavy' office stuff.

the 2 cards are in no way comparable or logical substitutes for each other...

88fingers0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

hanks for the lightnig fast reply Kari...thats what I thought looking at em too! Dont have a clue and even I know that card just dont look right ...so can anybody steer me to an online retailer who will help me marry my computer cores and box to a correct highest end card ?

88fingers0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am and I get a lot of stuff from them but you have to know what you are looking for and you have to know yourself if it will fit in the box as they offer no recommendations at all...and frankly I only know what I want ...(high end gaming and video card)and enough to be dangerous ...(usually to my own detriment ) ha ha But thanks to your advise I now know what these two cards I have here are and what they do...again Thanks for the quick reply

88fingers0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thats my box...now how can i differentiate if said card will work with xpp 32 bit xeon 4 core? ....will any card work in any box as long as it is pci express ? power supply in my box is or should handle most anything as it is a 720 watt ( i believe ) again Thanks bunches...I'll absorb all knowledge you care to feed me....problem is retaining it !! ha ha

Kari

Splendid
yep as long as it is pcie it will work.
FYI you will be stuck on DirectX9 even if you get a dx11 capable card, because there's no dx11 or dx10 support for Windows XP from microsoft, so little less eyecandy in the games...

88fingers0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Ok then with your guidance I have came up with these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-591&ReviewNo=2208484&SortField=0&Pagesize=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=40#scrollHelpful1

I am a bit unsure if these would work in my box and or if there would be heat issues with the larger one ... unsure if they would work with a 32 bit xp ?? and if I understand you I would be limited to direct x9 I also believe I would not benefit from the 3d features at all either....but would these cards provide good to great visuals at gaming ?? also in my reviewing I read reference to cuda features of Nvidia and video encoding??? guess thats why I am leaning toward nvid as if it can speed up avi file making process that would be a plus in itself also for what its worth the dell service tag for that box is 8G24JF1 if you would care to look at the specs of the box for me....I have a thought of maybe someday down the road going to WIN7 64 and possibly upgrade of ram to enable 3d but I bought this thing to be an avi slave but if i can get some good game out of it for little cost now and it can work with what it has now with a higher end 3d card...perhaps I might expand it later....my concern as i said would be heat with the higher end cards...well Thanks again Kari