Sign in with
Your question

Using speed fan to check CPU temp?

Last response: in CPUs
September 23, 2011 12:20:42 AM

Hi,

Here is a screenshot of what speedfan looks like on my computer:

If I want to check my CPU temperature, is it by looking at "temp1" or "cores 0-3"?

Also, is it possible to setup speedfan to look at GPU temp? I have an ATI HD 5850.

Here is my config screen:

Thanks,
September 23, 2011 1:24:10 AM

I am using the stock heatsink.

It's strange cause when i stress test my CPU, the temp1 reading maxes out at around 77C while the individual cores goes upwards of 95-97C. Do I need to be concerned about this? I didn't experience any random restart/shut down/freezing though.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2011 3:54:53 AM

Wow 95-97*C? If that is accurate, then that's incredibly too hot. Almost to the point where your computer would auto-shutdown to prevent permanent damage to the CPU. Is your stock heatsink installed correctly (is it firmly secured by it's 4 mounting pins)? Does your case have ample ventilation and cooling fans in it? I would not run a load on your processor until you can get better cooling to that CPU.
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:12:02 AM

Yeah, everything seems to be installed correctly. I'm also using a cooler master HAF 932 so there should be plenty of fans.

I just played Starcraft 2 for 5-6 hours and it's been showing that temp the whole time. But I didn't experience any slowdowns, restarts, shutdown or anything weird otherwise. So I'm not really sure what's going on.
m
l
September 23, 2011 6:47:12 PM

There's something funny about that 95C reading. Try running a program CoreTemp (it's free and doesn't need installing with the .zip version). If it reports 95C as well, I wouldn't run that cooler much longer because even with a stock heatsink and not overclocking, it shouldn't be that hot.
m
l
!