Sign in with
Your question

Help Determining Bottleneck

Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2011 6:01:32 PM

Hey guys,
I'm fairly experienced at building PCs and knowing how components work, but I'd like a few second opinions on determining what the bottleneck in my PC is.
I'm trying to determine what the PC is waiting on when it pauses to "load".

Specs:
intel core i5-750 OC'd to 3.2 ghz stable (30 degrees idle)
4x 2gb sticks of G.Skill ripjaw memory @ 1600mhz
Asus P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 (sata2 3gigabits/usb 2.0)
2 OCZ Vertex 60gb SSDs in RAID0 -->(116gb raid array)
nVidia geforce GTX 470 fermi 1.5gb

Now I know I/O is traditionally the bottleneck, which is why I have the SSDs. In your guy's opinions what do you think the config has to wait on? Is it still the hard disks? Or maybe the motherboard's Sata2 3gigabit limit? I find it hard to believe it would be the processor, ram, or video card.

I'm just curious what your guys opinions are, thanks in advance.

JM

More about : determining bottleneck

June 27, 2011 6:18:28 PM

everything appears to be aces. Depending on what you're doing with it, the GPU could have a bit more oomph, but certainly there's nothing wrong with it.

I do have to agree that the drives are usually the bottleneck but the setup you are running there seems pretty damn solid.

I think you've got a good setup
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2011 6:25:15 PM

How are has the SSDs been there?
RAID and TRIM aren't best buddies, so if its been a while, you might need to reformat the SSDs or take them out of RAID.
m
l
June 27, 2011 6:30:57 PM

Thanks for the opinion internetlad.

@Timop
Yea I went back and forth before buying the second SSD for Raid, reading articles about Trim support/degradation blah blah. It's been about 8 months, and they do seem slower than when i first got them, but not very noticeably so.

As to your question, I reinstall OSs every 4 months or so, I've always assumed that would fix any filesystem problems as far as Trim goes. My question is, do you think I should recreate the actual Raid array in the BIOS? Because it is a hardware raid I can reinstall windows without redoing the raid, so I havent touched the raid array since I originally did it. Do you think I should recreate the array?
m
l
!