Solved

3.2 vs 3.4

HI:)
i am upgrading my server that i built out of an old dimension 2400. the cpu is bottlenecking. sooo, which would be better for my money? the 3.2 ghz northwood or the 3.4 ghz northwood? i need as much performance as possible, but is it worth an extra $20?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. id go for it. its a %7 bump in speed. it might just help it last longer.
  2. Yes, the 3.4GHz will handle things slightly easier, meaning slightly less wear over time compared to the 3.2GHz although its a small difference as stated
    Moto
  3. TheinsanegamerN said:
    HI:)
    i am upgrading my server that i built out of an old dimension 2400. the cpu is bottlenecking. sooo, which would be better for my money? the 3.2 ghz northwood or the 3.4 ghz northwood? i need as much performance as possible, but is it worth an extra $20?

Will either 3.2 or 3.4 meet your needs?

If not, you will have spent too much.

Today, I don't think I would spend much on a system that is several generations old unless it will still completely do the job.

What is your current cpu?
  4. geofelt said:
    Will either 3.2 or 3.4 meet your needs?

If not, you will have spent too much.

Today, I don't think I would spend much on a system that is several generations old unless it will still completely do the job.

What is your current cpu?

the current cpu is a pentium 4 2.4/512/533. i am happy with current performance for lan parties (110 fps in empire at war, 35 fps in battlefront) either one would be good, but it would be $11 for the 3.2 ghz model, versus $40 for the 3.4. as it is a very old system, i don't think it is worth it to upgrade an extra $30........
  5. Best answer
    TheinsanegamerN said:
    the current cpu is a pentium 4 2.4/512/533. i am happy with current performance for lan parties (110 fps in empire at war, 35 fps in battlefront) either one would be good, but it would be $11 for the 3.2 ghz model, versus $40 for the 3.4. as it is a very old system, i don't think it is worth it to upgrade an extra $30........

No, it is not worth $30 extra for 200mhz on any system, let a alone a P4. And increasing the price by a factor of 4? You won't even notice the difference.
  6. FALC0N said:
    No, it is not worth $30 extra for 200mhz on any system, let a alone a P4. And increasing the price by a factor of 4? You won't even notice the difference.

sounds good, i am ordering the 3.2 tonight, and as a special bonus, my ram wil now run at 400 mhz, double win! thanks everyone
  7. Best answer selected by TheinsanegamerN.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck Dimension