PSU blowing exhaust INTO my case

richardisaac

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi Guys,
i haven't been able to keep my Lian Li PC-61 case cool enough without removing the side panel, so I'm reworking my airflow.

I noticed that my Corsair 750TX PSU draws air from it's rear panel and then exhausts it downward inside my case -toward my CPU and expansion cards. The air doesn't feel too hot, but I want to be drawing air from the bottom/front of my case instead and the 140 CFM of air that the fan moves really throws off my inflow/outflow ratio . . .

Any ideas? Is this PSU supposed to do this?

Thanks Much,
Richard

Solution
Your psu should blow air out of the rear mesh, not suck it into it,
Cover the rear of the psu with a sheet of A4 and power on, does it blow away or stick to the psu/pc?
If it is in fact sucking, get Corsair to replace the psu as its not suppose to work that way,
Also, does your case have venting at the bottom under the psu?
And which way up is the psu in your case? Fan up or down?
You should not see the fan, it should be at the bottom of the case, **Edit although your case is a top-mounted psu, you should be able to see the fan from inside your pc, i assumed it was bottom mounted sorry**
Moto
Your psu should blow air out of the rear mesh, not suck it into it,
Cover the rear of the psu with a sheet of A4 and power on, does it blow away or stick to the psu/pc?
If it is in fact sucking, get Corsair to replace the psu as its not suppose to work that way,
Also, does your case have venting at the bottom under the psu?
And which way up is the psu in your case? Fan up or down?
You should not see the fan, it should be at the bottom of the case, **Edit although your case is a top-mounted psu, you should be able to see the fan from inside your pc, i assumed it was bottom mounted sorry**
Moto

Solution
G

@beenthere

*** OVERCLOCKING IS A JOURNEY OF DISCOVERY FILLED WITH ADVENTURE. IT IS NOT A DESTINATION. ***

There, fixed that sig for you!

On Topic, another vote for your PSU is blowing the wrong way!

cirdecus

Distinguished

This is true if your power supply is still under warranty. You'll be without a PC for probably a week or two while you ship it back to them and receive the replacement.

OR you could forget about the warranty which usually doesn't cover the entire life of the unit anyway and just fix the problem in 3 minutes.

beenthere

Distinguished

It's only an adventure for us who enjoy it! :D For those who get frustrated or expect instant gratification, it is extremely frustrating. :(

If the PSU fan really is installed backwards then the OP might be able to get a cross-shipped replacement PSU so as to not be without a PC for a week?

15 hour days? Pfft, part-timers lol
8 hour nightshift, at least four hours Pc related stuff most mornings and Gf and three cats to take care of 15hour day would be a holiday hehe :)
Seeing as Op still hasn't posted back though, I figure we'll never know,
/whistling wind through sparse trees.....

Moto

richardisaac

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Okay. Problem solved. When i hold a piece of paper below the fan, inside the case, the paper is drawn up to the PSU - so it's not actually blowing air into the case. :) .

Not sure why it felt like air was coming out. Thanks for the help guys - and thanks to the efficient AND accurate child laborers at Corsair for installing the fan properly.