Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[New Build] Advice on a 1300 gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 27, 2011 9:25:37 PM

I am trying to build a new gaming PC. I have the following items set aside on a wish list:

New Build URL here!

Please, let me know if there is something missing here or if anyone finds conflict with my hardware. I would appreciate any advice, help, or input before I purchase these parts to built my system. Thanks.
June 27, 2011 11:18:34 PM

ok well first off why is there more than one tube of thermal compound in the cart?
second the graphics card you chose has great reviews but is not the fastest card for $200 i would go with a HIS 6870 iceq turbo its a bit faster (the fastest there is) and comes with a free game and a rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with the hard drive i would go with a hitatchi deskstar 2 terabyte for $80 before rebates for a few $$ more you get the advantage of 6gbps on that GIGABYTE motherboard and more than two times the space and two times the speed of that caviar black,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

other than the Graphics card and Hard drive everything looks good, you may be a bit over powered with a 850watt PSU i built a i5 sandy bridge 2500K with a HIS 5770 turbo and it had power to spare i think i could have used a 500watt. but if you decide to use less power you can get the ONLY 80 plus PLATINUM (90%+ efficiency) rated 550-650 watt. (variable watts) its the best on the market and i believe it would be great for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



m
0
l
June 27, 2011 11:42:27 PM

samrialj said:
ok well first off why is there more than one tube of thermal compound in the cart?
second the graphics card you chose has great reviews but is not the fastest card for $200 i would go with a HIS 6870 iceq turbo its a bit faster (the fastest there is) and comes with a free game and a rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with the hard drive i would go with a hitatchi deskstar 2 terabyte for $80 before rebates for a few $$ more you get the advantage of 6gbps on that GIGABYTE motherboard and more than two times the space and two times the speed of that caviar black,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

other than the Graphics card and Hard drive everything looks good, you may be a bit over powered with a 850watt PSU i built a i5 sandy bridge 2500K with a HIS 5770 turbo and it had power to spare i think i could have used a 500watt. but if you decide to use less power you can get the ONLY 80 plus PLATINUM (90%+ efficiency) rated 550-650 watt. (variable watts) its the best on the market and i believe it would be great for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I think I followed all your suggestions and you may want to double check my updated version right above in my initial posted message. About the two thermal paste tubes, I just put them there, for I have not decided which one I should use. Do you have any recommendations? Anyhow, thanks for helping me out.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 11:50:47 PM

actually i do have some recommendations.
this Arctic silver compound is one of the most reputable thermal compounds on the market. and this small tube is enough for probably 1-2 applications and has over 4000 reviews and is rated five eggs (stars)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

everything looks good, and your welcome.
m
0
l
June 27, 2011 11:58:41 PM

samrialj said:
actually i do have some recommendations.
this Arctic silver compound is one of the most reputable thermal compounds on the market. and this small tube is enough for probably 1-2 applications and has over 4000 reviews and is rated five eggs (stars)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

everything looks good, and your welcome.


I just added it to my wish list, and I will keep in mind before I make my final decision. Meanwhile, I will leave it there without removing any of the tubes to see what else other people say. Thanks a lot.
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 12:00:14 AM

you might want to put the artic silver 5 in the cart too to see what others think.
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 1:34:30 AM

samrialj said:
you might want to put the artic silver 5 in the cart too to see what others think.


Done! Thanks.
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 1:36:43 AM

your welcome.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 2:26:17 AM

Here's s a build worth taking a look at imo. This build allows you to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's for SLI. That cpu cooler down below comes with decent thermal paste, and this build includes Windows 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Enforcer-Interior-S... $79.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1)

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4... $14.31 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm red LED case fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $154.98 + $15.00 Mail In Rebates
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $188.98
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $454.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $434.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=ox_sc_a... $29.51 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $18.99 FREE SHIPPING
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 FREE SHIPPING
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Total: $1,041.73 *not including shipping, mail in rebates, etc...

Total: $1,291.72 for dual gtx 560's in SLI *not including shipping, mail in rebates, etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... You Save: $5.00 $249.99 (Before $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) FREE SHIPPING
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id... <----- more pics, specs, and professional reviews of that case
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 2:33:50 AM

hiya you always do that posting some random build in the middle of a topic lol. sometimes i wonder if you even read more than the topic. haha xD
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 2:48:02 AM

So far I am happy with what I got in the build. Thanks.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 2:49:24 AM

samrialj said:
hiya you always do that posting some random build in the middle of a topic lol. sometimes i wonder if you even read more than the topic. haha xD

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- Usually the OP's use this guild line so we have a better idea of what advice to give. But after seeing the OP's build with a Kingwin psu, ghetto vid card, etc... ya it's easy to say the OP's build is a bit of a mess and can easily be improved on. If you do a google on those 560's in SLI you will see the FPS they get in games. For a gaming build with a budget of $1,300 I would think that would be the way to go.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 2:51:02 AM

orestesdd said:
So far I am happy with what I got in the build. Thanks.

Please don't take offense to this post...but your build is nothing even close to what would ever be recommended on this board. That build of yours is bad in more ways than one.
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 2:52:39 AM

you say everyone's build is a mess...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 2:55:04 AM

samrialj said:
you say everyone's build is a mess...

Nope...only when they are a mess. I'm guessing you don't game online for the fact if you did you would have given the OP some decent advice. For a gaming build it's all about FPS.
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 3:00:11 AM

the point of this wasnt to give him a completely different build it was to improve the components he chose, i dont believe its a mess and if so hiya then please describe the specifics because i didnt see any specifics that really were "omg his PC will explode" issues, sorry to bother you, im sure your off some where posting all the builds you have saved to notepad lol.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 3:19:16 AM

samrialj said:
the point of this wasnt to give him a completely different build it was to improve the components he chose, i dont believe its a mess and if so hiya then please describe the specifics because i didnt see any specifics that really were "omg his PC will explode" issues, sorry to bother you, im sure your off some where posting all the builds you have saved to notepad lol.

You have $1,300 to go to the store and pick components for a gaming build.

So seeing how it doesn't take rocket scientist to figure this one out...lets take a look at the OP's build.

1) Anyone that has that budget and only has a 6870 to show for it is in sad shape

2) $160 for a "Kingwin 550w psu"... gtfo

3) A full size case that doesn't include 3.0 usb ports yet a small arse cpu h/s for a board that's bent more for med - heavy over clockers

4) If you even need to ask why I say that builds a mess...why are you even posting in this part of the forum ?

m
0
l
June 28, 2011 3:19:36 AM

So what will be a good build for about $1300 budget?
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 3:21:16 AM

ok well im done. bye. -_-
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 3:29:04 AM

orestesdd said:
So what will be a good build for about $1300 budget?

That build I posted will get you a decent cool o/c of anywhere from 4.2ghz - 4.6ghz. Those dual factory over clocked gtx 560's in SLI (which can easily be o/c to run par with stock gtx 570's) will allow you to play games such as Crysis and BF3 on all the high settings at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 where you will easily get over 100 - 140 FPS. I have no idea what your monitors resolution is...but if it's the usual 1920 x 1080 then plan on kicking some arse on any new game out there with that build I posted.

dual gtx 560's > single gtx 580

single gtx 560 > 6870
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 3:33:44 AM

+1 to hiya's build, will give more fps
m
0
l
June 28, 2011 6:34:14 PM

Why_Me said:
That build I posted will get you a decent cool o/c of anywhere from 4.2ghz - 4.6ghz. Those dual factory over clocked gtx 560's in SLI (which can easily be o/c to run par with stock gtx 570's) will allow you to play games such as Crysis and BF3 on all the high settings at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 where you will easily get over 100 - 140 FPS. I have no idea what your monitors resolution is...but if it's the usual 1920 x 1080 then plan on kicking some arse on any new game out there with that build I posted.

dual gtx 560's > single gtx 580

single gtx 560 > 6870


I made some changes based on your suggestions, but I am going with a single MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. Perhaps later when I have more money, I will get another gtx 560. Please, take a look at the initial post URL to see my changes.

One question, why should I pick the case now in the list instead of storm sniper? Is it just price? Or is it a better case? Thanks.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2011 9:08:45 PM

orestesdd said:
I made some changes based on your suggestions, but I am going with a single MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. Perhaps later when I have more money, I will get another gtx 560. Please, take a look at the initial post URL to see my changes.

One question, why should I pick the case now in the list instead of storm sniper? Is it just price? Or is it a better case? Thanks.

On that case...the Storm Sniper is a great case...I was thinking of price and the 3.0 USB ports. For now the sniper doesn't have the 3.0 usb ports, but Cooler Master will eventually (soon hopefully) put out a version of the Sniper with those. Otherwise the sniper is a great case with lots of room and awesome cooling. You can't go wrong with either of those cases imo. Also you only need one pkg. of thermal compound. You have two up there in your newegg cart.


BUNDLE / COMBO YOUR COMPONENTS TO SAVE $$$!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $204.98 save: $15.00
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $179.98 save: $40.00
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $454.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $434.98 save: $15.00
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $8.98 FREE SHIPPING
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

*edit...here's a better combo if you want Windows Professional and not Home Premium.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $329.98 save: $25.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Share
June 28, 2011 9:27:02 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
0
l
!