Just got GTX 580 (HELP)

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I have A HD 4870 In the PC right now and don't know what order I should do the drivers. I have an Ultra 750W PSU and I may need a better one.

Solution
You need to actually uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers, not just delete them from the C drive. You want to make the driver switch to the new card as "clean" as possible to avoid any conflicts.

If you absolutely cannot find the current AMD/ATI drivers in the Add/Remove Programs list, forget uninstalling the old drivers, shut down the PC, install the GTX 580, boot up. At boot up, it will say "found new hardware", ignore that, and proceed to install the new Nvidia drivers (double click on them). During the install process, there is an option to perform a Clean Install. Click on that and follow the prompts, then reboot again once the process is finished.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I can't find ati/amd any thing under Add/remove programs. I guess I will have to remove them under c drive. P.S Can you just copy the ati drivers to usb drive or dwonload them from ati/amd as a back up?

P.S Can I just put the card in first and drivers and then kill the ati drivers or would that be bad.

-ATI drivers are probably listed as Catalyst Install Manager

-you should download the drivers you need from the AMD website. I don't understand what you mean by USB backup? You could put the install exe on there if you want I suppose.

-That wouldn't be "bad" but definitely not recommended. Just try following the steps we listed.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
1) I don't see ati or catalyst any thing.

2) Why would it not be recommended?

3) If I can't find the ATI drivers under Add/remove programs then could I just delete the ati under C drive?

You need to actually uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers, not just delete them from the C drive. You want to make the driver switch to the new card as "clean" as possible to avoid any conflicts.

If you absolutely cannot find the current AMD/ATI drivers in the Add/Remove Programs list, forget uninstalling the old drivers, shut down the PC, install the GTX 580, boot up. At boot up, it will say "found new hardware", ignore that, and proceed to install the new Nvidia drivers (double click on them). During the install process, there is an option to perform a Clean Install. Click on that and follow the prompts, then reboot again once the process is finished.

Solution

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks,

It's the best monitor I have ever had and hope to say the same of the GTX 580.

The last time I put a video card in I left the drivers on the pc from the old video card, but it may be a bad idea this time to do that.

What will a "clean Install" do to my os and apps.

Yes, it can run on the generic drivers that Windows uses. But typically, you would do it all in one sitting: uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers, shut off the PC, install the new GTX 580, boot up, install the new drivers you downloaded off the Nvidia website (Clean Install).

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I have the GTX 580 up and running. I did not kill all the ati drivers and crysis is runing good maxed out, but there is some tearing. I used the disk, becuase my internet died for a bit. It does not seem as good as I would think for the "fastest GPU ever". I will try updating the drivers to see if that would help.