AMD vs. Intel Difficulty of installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3harbinger

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hey, I am soon building my first computer and was wondering about the difficulty of AMD compared to Intel.
I have heard the AMD heat sinks are very difficult to install and it is easy to crush the CPU is this true?
I would like to be able to upgrade to the bulldozers early next year, so i'm kind of hoping that AMD isn't too difficult.

Solution
Between Intel & Amd's stock heat sink installation, I personally like AMD's better. With AMD, you pretty much hook one end of the cooler to the board & then hook the other & then latch it into place. Also when the cooler isn't latched, both sides of cooler will be pretty loose, until it's latched/locked into position

With Intel, you have to press the cooler down into 4 holes, making sure each one "snaps" into place. Most of the time, I can get 3 of them to snap into place, but the 4th is a pain.

Overall I would say that both method used are not easy to crush the cpu, but they do make after market cooling kits that work really well & don't feel like you are "crushing" the cpu.

For instance, I just upgraded to the I7 2600k...

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Both arent difficult.
Overall you must properly read the manual and do what is in accordance.Dont be afraid, most hardware is harder than most people think and you might need a lot more force to break it.

th3harbinger

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
well i got a phenom II 965 from tiger direct (after two months through the mail) and when i finally got it something was wrong with the computer. initially i thought it was the MOBO so i tried a second and third one but then i thought about it and i think i broke the cpu when i was removing or placing the heat sink. so i'm kind of concerned. any thoughts?

G

Everyone says its easy to do!

I did a test.

Build two machines from spare parts, tested them and broke them down to components again.

Gave the systems to two people to build (both love PC's and have started doing A+)

Result so far

1 Broken pins on AMD CPU
2 Broken GPU from incorrect placement!

2 working systems, 2 guys with years worth of computer use and two broken systems!

Its not THAT easy! I could come up with a lot of things that are!

My left hand is extremely uncoordinated. Back in the day, I vaguely remember I broke a pin off a RAM chip I was installing, and I've snapped off a GPU retaining clip or two (to no real detriment as I screw my GPUs in place), but I have yet to break a CPU pin or snap a board. The moral of this story is, if you take your time, it's not too difficult and you aren't likely to break anything.
AMD stock heat sinks install very easily, Intel ones a little less so. Aftermarket heatsinks that use a backplate will be virtually identical for either.

beenthere

Distinguished
Anyone crushing a CPU or breaking pins off should not be allowed to work on PCs. Seriously. No offense intended but PCs and electronics are relatively delicate parts. In 20 years of building PCs I've never damaged a PC component - never. It does take skill and knowledge to properly assemble a PC. It's not for everyone.

As far as Intel vs. AMD they require equal skills IMO and both have their design pluses and minuses.

For the Intel® stock heatsinks I advise that you put the processor and the HSF (heatsink/fan) on the motherboard before you mount it in the chassis. By doing this it is easier to check the push pens are all the way through and locked in place. Also you dont feel like you are bending the board by pushing to hard.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

cscottm90

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Between Intel & Amd's stock heat sink installation, I personally like AMD's better. With AMD, you pretty much hook one end of the cooler to the board & then hook the other & then latch it into place. Also when the cooler isn't latched, both sides of cooler will be pretty loose, until it's latched/locked into position

With Intel, you have to press the cooler down into 4 holes, making sure each one "snaps" into place. Most of the time, I can get 3 of them to snap into place, but the 4th is a pain.

Overall I would say that both method used are not easy to crush the cpu, but they do make after market cooling kits that work really well & don't feel like you are "crushing" the cpu.

For instance, I just upgraded to the I7 2600k yesterday & installed my H60 cooler. It has a back plate for the motherboard, which allows me to screw on the cooler. The AMD method hooks on (like the stock cooler), but you tighen the hook to lock into place.

On a side note, depending on price & what you already have, to also look at Intel, before making the purchase. Unless of course, you already have an AM3 motherboard

Solution

4745454b

Titan
For the Intel® stock heatsinks I advise that you put the processor and the HSF (heatsink/fan) on the motherboard before you mount it in the chassis. By doing this it is easier to check the push pens are all the way through and locked in place. Also you dont feel like you are bending the board by pushing to hard.

This is the way I do it as well. Odd that Intel's manual last I checked said to put the board in the case first. I also haven't use a stock HSF in nearly forever. I've used the Hyper212+ for my last two builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.