Latest Console Developments?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hi

Just wondered if anyone can fill me in on the latest rumours and
console developments? I've not been keeping up with things. If you
can point me to any sites I'd be grateful.

Also, do you think this Gameboy DS will be a hit? I think it could be
a flop. I just don't like it, but I think the PSP looks awesome.

When can we expect the next generation of consoles to appear and what
is in the pipeline from the three main players?

Thanks

John

"John" <anu@bis.com> wrote in message
> Also, do you think this Gameboy DS will be a hit?

I think it already is. None of the stores around here have any left.

John wrote:

> Also, do you think this Gameboy DS will be a hit? I think it could be
> a flop. I just don't like it, but I think the PSP looks awesome.

Try to buy one these days. They've sold out. I'd call that a hit.

Can you explain why you think the PSP looks "awesome" but you don't
like the DS? The PSP is a brick. The DS is sleek with actual design
work done to make it look nice. Sony fanboy, perhaps?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:27:50 -0600, A strange species called "Ross"
<bluehoney@charter.net> wrote:

>I agree with you, Sony's system has a more sleek design. In fact, Sony is
>great at making sleek looking products(and easily breakable too). I love
>Nintendo, but ever since the Nintendo 64 their products have not wowed me
>like the SNES(with maybe the exception of GBA). I have tried the DS and its
>a cool idea, but I just don't see the longevity of it. The fact is, I only
>want to play double screened games sometimes. I would reccomend to anyone
>who asks about what console to buy, don't buy the bleeding edge stuff right
>away. Wait for 4 or 5 months on the DS so you can see how sony does against
>it. Yes, we know the battery life is reported to be low, but you never know,
>a few killer apps is all it needs to come out on top. Besides, there is no
>arguing that the GBA is currently the king, so if you already have one your
>all set right? ;-)

The GBA is another one I forgot to add including afterburner which I
added :)

For me personally, Battery life isn't that big a deal. The PC Engine
GT took 6 batteries I think it was and they only lasted two hours, but
in my opinion that was the best portable console ever made.

You can always be inventive and use higher capacity batteries or a
small external battery pack if you really need to play a portable for
that length of time.

Waiting is a good idea when new consoles first enter the market until
you can get an idea of which suits you best.

John

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> Hi
>
> Just wondered if anyone can fill me in on the latest rumours and
> console developments? I've not been keeping up with things. If you
> can point me to any sites I'd be grateful.

The hype campaign has started. Sony and Microsoft are floating who will be
manufacturing their video processors. Sony just released an article about
"cell architecture" that their new CPU will use. EA floated some
"screenshots" (artist conceptions) of what next generation graphics "could
look like" -- akin to the pre PS2 hype about "Toy Story graphics".

> Also, do you think this Gameboy DS will be a hit?

I hope so as I recently purchased one. By the sale numbers, it looks like
the DS is doing just fine -- despite the rather weak game base accompanying
the DS release. ("Mario 64 DS" is awesome though. I have that and
"Asphalt: Urban GT".) I'm hoping that either Nintendo or a third party
comes out soon with an email client and web browser. The DS has 802.11b
built-in and could be a very cool little internet gadget as well as a gaming
device.

> I just don't like it, but I think the PSP looks awesome.

Honestly, when the DS was first revealed, I didn't know what to make out
with the idea of two LCD's and a touchpad. Now that I have one in my hands,
I can say that it is a very cool concept. The Metroid demo gives a pretty
good indication of what is in store for touchpad control. Using the "thumb
stylus" with the Metroid demo actually does feel very much like using a
computer mouse. I'm also looking forward to the PSP.

> When can we expect the next generation of consoles to appear and what
> is in the pipeline from the three main players?

*shrugs*

Actually, I'm in no rush for next generation consoles. In fact, I wouldn't
mind if they were even pushed back by a couple years. My main thing I'd
like to see for the new consoles is for them to be able to do 1080i high
definition -- and do it well. (The Xbox dabbles in 1080i with a few games,
but simply doesn't have the raw power for it. "MX Unleashed" is in 1080i
and actually has very good frame rates, but this was only possible by
keeping textures simple.) If this means offsetting another couple years, so
be it.

TRENDING THREADS