Dell Insprion 9100 - Display doesn't work after boot screen

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2005 11:07:51 PM

I was hoping someone may have some insights into what I can do to try
and debug why nothing is displayed on the laptop screen once it goes
into uxga,sxga (or whatever non-vga-only is running on the machine)

That is, the windows startup screen shows and then nothing displayed
once it starts going to the post-boot blue-background video mode.

The video out jack does still drive an external monitor.

This used to happen occasionally after the screen would power itself
off to save energy when the lid was down, and nothing would come back
up when I opened the laptop and hit a key. However, that problem would
always go away after rebooting.

I;ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700
video driver and the Default Monitor device, but that didn't do it.

I know I'm asking for a bit of trouble in that I'm running Windows
Server 2003, but it was running fine for over a year until today.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 4:52:05 PM

Date: 19 Jun 2005 19:07:51 -0700

[...]

Hi Joe... I have two stories that I can share that might help. First is
my Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops LCD screen sometimes doesn't come back up
out of standby. Rebooting or hibernation works fine. When it isn't
working out of standby, sometimes toggling the hotkey between internal
and external monitors will bring it back.

On one desktop, I have an on the motherboard video card. But I also have
a second one in a PCI slot. And the latter one is the one I use.
Although if I play with the video drivers, sometimes the onboard card
pops back to life. Although I can fix it going back to the display
properties.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000